My ameiva wont eat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
ball pythonz
My ameiva wont eat

well I posted this here because ameivas are close to tegus... does anyone have any info on how I could get my ameiva to eat? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
varnyard
How long have you had him? Also was he a wild caught?

Old 08-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
ball pythonz
Ive only had him for 2 days... so I know thats not very long lol. I found the lizard caught in my fence outside. Im guessing hes wild caught, but it could possibly have been someones pet.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
hhmoore
what kind of ameiva is it (are you sure it is an ameiva)? Can you post a pic?
how do you have it set up?
Since you caught him yourself, if you don't get him feeding soon - I would suggest letting him go where you found him.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
ball pythonz
Its definentaly an ameiva. Ill try to get pics posted here soon. And yes, if it doesnt eat soon, I will release it back to a safe place.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
hhmoore
again, how are you keeping him? (we can't really help solve the puzzle without having the pieces) cage size & set up, temp, humidity? How big is he? and what have you tried to feed him?

Old 08-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
ball pythonz
well right now I have him in a 20 gal with a hide log thing repti bark and a water dish. I have him outside on my back patio, which is like where I caught him. I cant give an exact size but hes about a foot long not including the huge tail. Today I put some crickets in there with no luck.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
ball pythonz
actually its a bit smaller than a 20... its too small for the lizard. If im going to keep it, (if I can keep it) i'll get it a much bigger cage.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
Mike P.
I've kept both a pair of Chaitzami, and Green Ameivas - Care for them is much the same as the Tegu - He's probably just freaked out right now since he was wild caught, and now feels less secure being held captive.

Seeing how you are in south Fla, I'm sure the temps and humidity are fine with keeping him outside for now, however he will need natural, or un-natural sunlight for his well being - and sticking him out in the sunlight in a glass aquarium will just cook him.

If you keep him, he may turn around eventually, however they can be flighty - although 2 out of the 4 I kept were pretty mellow - give him the temps, lighting, and room to burrow and he may be accustomed to captive lifestyle and start feeding for you, or let him go where you have found him...

Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
ball pythonz
dont worry, the tank is in shade. This guy is just so cool and I want to keep it. What should I be feeding, and what size cage do I need? And any tips on getting it to eat? Thanx.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!