Anybody run their own show here? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
RNPreptiles
Anybody run their own show here?

I was thinking about starting my own reptile show in California. If anyone here has any tips they would be greatly appreciated. The first thing I need to do is figure out how to promote it. I learn about shows via the internet and Reptiles magazine, but Im sure there are other ways to increase the number of people coming through the doors. Also, how do get vendors to sign up? Id also like to set up a lecture or something that would make the show unique. I have one man that will do a rattlesnake lecture but I would like more ideas.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
odatria
My first bit of advise would be do not try a show in California.

There are too many shows here as it is. I have been vending at shows in California for over 10 years and I can tell you that things are getting ready to change in a BIG way. IRBA used to be the standard in reptile events, however with NARBC comming next month I predict that IRBA will go the way of the great swap meet show circuit like Cedar Hill shows did back in the early 90's(Its not far from that now). Radical Reptiles is promoting good shows in Southern California and Upscale Reptiles is holding the title up north. There are a few other decent shows but nothing worth travelling too far for. I looked into holding a show at the Ontario Convention Center before IRBA started holding shows there and I can tell you that to put on a quality event you are going to need deep pockets. We hired a consultant that quickly told us that the convention center would not be a profitable location. We agreed. IRBA started their shows there soon after and found out quickly that that venue was not worth the trouble. If I were you, I would do some serious demographic research. Take it or leave it, you will go broke trying to promote a decent show in California.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:10 AM   #3
RNPreptiles
Yeah I cant wait to go to the NARBC show in Sept. What shows do radical reptiles hold?

So you're a vendor? I also wanted to get a table to sell my snakes at but the cost of a booth is high. Im also curious about how the booths work and how much I can fit on a table or behind the table. Also, you get one badge, but can someone use my badge? I cant stay behind the table all day, I need to eat and use the restroom sometime, so I would need help. Do the shows serve lunch? Can you profit after paying the high price of the table?

Also, there was a small show in Victorville. I was thinking about doing something like that. Im actually in the Palmdale/Lancaster area, but I dont think it is big enough to do a show here, so I wanted to travel a short distance for a show, like in Hollywood or Valencia. I dont know of any shows in that area, just the Anaheim show, Pomona, and the San Diego show. We are planning on moving soon though, where do you think might be a good area to host a new show?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!