Eve isnt eating... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Riyeko
Eve isnt eating...

Okay so normally I wouldnt be too worried, but the last time my snake decided to eat, was a week and three days ago.
So ten days.
She usually eats small pinky mice that dont have a lot of fur, but shes getting bigger and ive upgraded her to actual mice that have LOTS of hair.

Is the hair the reason shes not eating?
Shes not in shed, so im not sure whats going on.
Ive tried to offer them multiple times, just leaving her in a tub with the mouse, putting the mouse in her cage and letting her be, and then finally decided to drag out my extra tank and put her in there with some paper towels and the mouse ... to no avail.

She doesnt have anything wrong with her (that I can see), so im guessing its because the foods got more fuzz on it than normal.
I am going tomorrow to the pet store to buy some more pinkies and hopefully theyll have bigger pinkies with less hair.. or something.

I just dont know and im starting to get worried.

Anyway, any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance

Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
RachelsBoa
Trying to feed her too often might be stressing her out. I would try waiting another week without feeding her at all and see if she will eat after that. If she's under a year old, you can feed her every 7-10 days and missing a meal isn't a big deal for them. After she's a year old, you can cut down feeding to every other week or so.

Hope this helps! Just try leave her alone for a week and see if she will eat for you. Let us know if she does.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Matt2979
I've been feeding my hatclhings (born 1/31/11) once every 10-14 days. They've been growing just fine. But I also feed slightly larger than you. I started them with mouse hoppers for the first couple of feedings (they didn't respond, at first, to the slower moving rat pinks). I now feed them rat crawlers, just big enough to give them a nice lump. Ten days is defnitely nothing to be worried about.

EDIT--I'm now feeding rat pups, not quite ready to wean.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Metachrosis
leave the animal alone for 2 more weeks,then resume your power feeding schedule

Old 07-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Snakesitter
I agree with Rachel, Jaymie. When an animal refuses for me, it does not get another chance until the next feeding session a week later.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
I feed my neonates every two weeks, and only for 3-6 months, then they get fed like every 3 weeks on avg, even longer on occasion. With all my snakes, if they refuse, they wait till the next scheduled feeding. And none of them even know what a mouse smells like. They'll take rat pinks just fine from their first meal.

They don't need, nor is it good for them in the long run, to be fed every 2 weeks without fail. Wild Boa live longer then captive. That's a fact, and it's for a reason. Humans have a propensity to over feed their pets.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Metachrosis
Read Rick's post a few more times if yeah didn't get it the first go
SEVEN TO TEN DAY FEEDING OF BCI/BCC
IS POWER FEEDING!!
If you are not playing the "first to market with the latest morph",which 99.94% only think they are.
Stop the BS! ,you can still breed BCI it will only take you 24-36 months longer then the Jone's.

The cycle must stop,the sooner the better!
There is a 4-6 yr tide of horsesh!t that has led people to believe
if they feed like the "big mutt" breeders,they are doing it "correctly"

The big mutt breeders are cranking market meat for "Your Money"
and there is no grey area or compromise

Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
let's try to remember that Jaymie is a new snake mom and, correct me if I'm wrong, this is her first boa. Maybe better to come down with the rubber mallet than swinging with the sledgehammer? It's a good way to turn people off from asking for help. I think a separate thread on power-feeding would probably be a good one.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
Durante
I'm curious to hear more about what folks are considering power feed. I didn't' realize offering a meal every 10 days was considered power feeding, especially with considerations like if a snake skips during shed periods or is younger then a year old. I'm not a breeder, expert, etc but do try to read as much as possible learning whatever I can & I'm sure I seen it written my many with more experience then myself that 10-14 day cycle was fine as long as the animal maintained a healthy weight/grow rate. Please don't take this as me trying correct or prove anyone wrong, or start any arguments, I'm actually new here & am curious from your experience & want to hear your opinion if you believe in a longer period between meals. Honestly if possible to post it here I'd like to see a few peoples feeding records. I have two boa's a little over a year old that I believe are happy & healthy but if there is something I could do to improve there life I'm open to learning.Thanks

Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
I don't consider 10-14 days as power feeding, but I do consider it to be over feeding.

I like April's suggestion about a separate thread on feeding. Maybe if it turns out to be a decent discussion, we can get it sticky'd to the top of the forum page for all to read.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!