Cold temps, for north Florida anyway. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 03-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #11
WebSlave
They are calling for a low of 28 degrees tonight. Freeze warning in effect.

Well, the navel orange tree had the most flower buds on it, so we decided to cover that one out of all the fruit trees. Unfortunately the rest have to fend for themselves over night. Even Connie's pumelo tree, that she dearly loves, that has some new flower buds just forming. It is tucked between two buildings, so I hope it will do OK. We really don't have large enough tarps for any of the other fruit trees anyway. We would have to build cages out of bamboo around them to keep the tarps from laying directly against the leaves, as that causes nearly as much damage as not covering them at all. At least to the leaves touching the tarp surface. Plus putting on a tarp without a cage winds up causing it's own damage by knocking off blooms during the putting on and taking off action. So you really don't gain much if you don't do it right.

Covering the navel was a real circus. The tree is good sized, many 8 ft. tall. We only had one really big silver colored tarp that has been in the shed for years, but it was only long and wide enough to cover the tree on three sides. We put some bamboo poles in the ground to drape the tarp over so it wouldn't lay right on the leaves and buds. We then had to drape a smaller blue tarp over the open side and duct taped it to the silver tarp. Then since it might be windy again tonight, we had to use tent stakes to stake the tarps to the ground to keep them from blowing off of allowing cold winds underneath them. I do hope that tree appreciates the work we did to protect it. It gave us about 2 dozen fruits this past year and they were EXCELLENT, so well worth the effort, to us, to try to protect it.

The pear trees, peach trees, and asian pears are all putting out flower buds, as are Connie's blueberry bushes. Just hoping for the best for them all.

And, of course, we covered Connie's pineapple plants too. One of the plots got hit hard by that 21 degree night we had at the end of January. The other one seemed to do fine, though.

Honestly, I am really hoping that the weather forecast is just WAY off. It's not like that has never happened before. A good 10 degrees warmer than forecast would be just fine with me.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:03 PM   #12
JColt
Yeah got bone cold here and snowed couple inches over Friday into Saturday. Today it warmed up to 43 and Sun but not till later in the day. 57 tomorrow!

Old 03-13-2022, 07:49 PM   #13
bcr229
Same. My daffodils have snow on them. I'm hoping that was winter's last gasp.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #14
WebSlave
The weather station sensor said it got down to 28.4 degrees in front of the garage Saturday night. It was 31.8 degrees at that sensor when I went to bed at 4:30 am that night. The other temp sensors on the front porch of the house are saying it got down to 33.3 degrees.

Last night (Sunday) it got down to 34.0 degrees. Looks like things will be warming up, so we are planning on folding up the tarps and putting them back into the shed before possible rain comes in tonight. Hopefully messing with the tarps for the last time this season.

Connie and I did a walk around yesterday to look over the fruit trees. Not much damage. Just looks like a finger of cold air got a few areas of new growth on a few of the trees, but not bad at all. Connie's pumelo tree has some new flower buds coming out so she is all excited about that. She only got one fruit this past year, so she is hoping for a bumper crop this year. It takes her about a week to eat one of them, they are SOOO huge.

Looks like rain off and on over the next week or so. Temps supposed to be getting into the mid 70s. Combining warm temperatures with a few rain showers here and there (plus the 120 lbs of fertilizer we put around them), should be getting the Spring air filled with the smell of citrus blooms shortly.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #15
WebSlave
I took a few pics of the contraption Connie and I put up to protect the navel orange tree before we take it down.

Also took some pics of the satsuma and pumelo pre-blooms we were hoping would not get destroyed by the cold night Saturday.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #16
WebSlave
33.6 degrees overnight last night. I guess we will lose Connie's pineapple gardens because we are just not in any shape to be dragging out tarps and covering them during the cold nights coming. Then uncovering them the following mornings and putting away the tarps when rain threatens. That is the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!