SC’s booming black market for deadly snakes and exotic turtles puts animals in peril - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #11
DrummingT
Charleston, South Carolina Repticon does not allow venomous as Mt. Pleasant bans their ownership or even handling of any venomous snake.

https://www.charlestonanimalsociety....T-PLEASANT.pdf

§ 90.26 WILD ANIMALS.
(A) Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain, or have in his or her possession or control within the town any
poisonous reptile or any other dangerous or carnivorous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous domesticated animal or any
other animal or reptile of wild, vicious, or dangerous propensities.
(B) Classification. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain, or have in his or her possession or control within the town
any of the following animals:
(1) All poisonous animals including rear- fang snakes

Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummingT View Post
Charleston, South Carolina Repticon does not allow venomous as Mt. Pleasant bans their ownership or even handling of any venomous snake.

https://www.charlestonanimalsociety....T-PLEASANT.pdf

§ 90.26 WILD ANIMALS.
(A) Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain, or have in his or her possession or control within the town any
poisonous reptile or any other dangerous or carnivorous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous domesticated animal or any
other animal or reptile of wild, vicious, or dangerous propensities.
(B) Classification. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain, or have in his or her possession or control within the town
any of the following animals:
(1) All poisonous animals including rear- fang snakes
So, in theory, a deep pockets individual could fight the ordinance based on the word poisonous. Bring in a bunch of witnesses explaining the difference between venomous and poisonous and he keeps his hots. He spends tens of thousands to do it, but he wins. And the next week city council changes the wording.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #13
bcr229
Update to the case - Gangemi has pled guilty:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Guil...muggling-Case/

Old 01-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #14
DrummingT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Update to the case - Gangemi has pled guilty:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Guil...muggling-Case/

"The item you were looking for is no longer published."

Old 01-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #15
Phil Bradley
Here is another link related to this scumbag: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...223501070.html

Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #16
bcr229
The DoJ's press release also has quite a bit of info:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sc/pr/n...le-trafficking

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, December 21, 2018

New Jersey Man Pleads Guilty to Turtle Trafficking

Columbia, South Carolina ---- United States Attorney Sherri A. Lydon announced today that William Thomas Gangemi, age 26, of Freehold, New Jersey, pled guilty in federal court to Conspiracy to Smuggle Wildlife. Senior United States District Judge Joseph F. Anderson, Jr., accepted the plea and will sentence him at a later date.

Evidence presented at the hearing established that Gangemi participated in a syndicate of wildlife smugglers exchanging turtles protected by international agreements back and forth between the United States and China. The conspiracy was led by Steven Baker, age 38, of Holly Hill, who pled guilty in June 2018. Three other men, Joseph Logan Brooks, age 29, formerly of Holly Hill; Matthew Tyler Fischer, age 25, of Holly Hill; and Matthew Harrison Kail, age 30, of Pomona Park, Florida, pled guilty to the same Conspiracy in September 2018. William Fischer, age 48, of Harleyville, pled guilty to a misdemeanor Wildlife Trafficking charge the same day.

The activity took place from January through June 2016. Baker obtained protected turtles from Hong Kong to distribute here in the United States, and he shipped protected turtles from the United States to Asia. Gangemi collected turtles that he provided to Baker, shipped turtles domestically, and exchanged text messages with Baker regarding various shipments.

The transactions were set up using the Facebook text messaging feature. Shipments were made internationally through the United States Postal Service. Several packages were intercepted entering the United States at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The maximum penalty faced by Gangemi is five years in federal prison.

The United States Fish and Wildlife Service, the United States Postal Inspection Service, and the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources investigated the case. Assistant United States Attorney Winston David Holliday, Jr., of the Columbia office is prosecuting the case.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
Robert Walker
Quote:
William Thomas Gangemi, age 26, of Freehold, New Jersey
To clarify, is this the same person?:
Fauna Account: Gangemiw

Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
Beyond GenetiX
I was talking to William (Billy) in September of ‘17 about buying some eastern hognose snakes, but he couldn’t provide any permits for owning them. At that time he had both NC and NJ as his location, I didn’t want the risk. He claimed to have well over the legal limit to keep without a permit, and couldn’t provide a permit. He wanted to “send the permit in the box” but couldn’t send me a picture of it.

In NC you have to have a permit for more than 5 native reptiles, in NJ you are required to get a permit for any captive snakes. Looks like my suspicions were correct, that’s not something I want to be involved in.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
To clarify, is this the same person?:
Fauna Account: Gangemiw
I believe so.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond GenetiX View Post
I was talking to William (Billy) in September of ‘17 about buying some eastern hognose snakes, but he couldn’t provide any permits for owning them. At that time he had both NC and NJ as his location, I didn’t want the risk. He claimed to have well over the legal limit to keep without a permit, and couldn’t provide a permit. He wanted to “send the permit in the box” but couldn’t send me a picture of it.

In NC you have to have a permit for more than 5 native reptiles, in NJ you are required to get a permit for any captive snakes. Looks like my suspicions were correct, that’s not something I want to be involved in.
Thanks for posting Jason.

Quote:
I believe so.
Thanks Melinda. He did confirm that it was him. I asked in one of his classified ads, oddly enough for "Eastern Hognose Snakes" like Jason mentioned. His response was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangemiw View Post
Yes that’s me and what’s your point? People make mistakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!