Hurricane season - 2021 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 06-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
WebSlave
Hurricane season - 2021

Long term forecasts (ventusky.com) are showing he possibility of a tropical storm developing in the western Gulf of Mexico and threatening the Texas coastline by next weekend. Anyone in that area might want to keep an eye on things.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
bcr229

Old 06-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Long term forecasts (ventusky.com) are showing he possibility of a tropical storm developing in the western Gulf of Mexico and threatening the Texas coastline by next weekend. Anyone in that area might want to keep an eye on things.
I really hope it does not turn out to be serious, I am still very ill after being diagnosed with diabetes, can't cope with anything else right now.

So how is the roof project? Are you ready for the inevitable horrible Florida hurricanes?

Old 06-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I really hope it does not turn out to be serious, I am still very ill after being diagnosed with diabetes, can't cope with anything else right now.

So how is the roof project? Are you ready for the inevitable horrible Florida hurricanes?
Didn't you move back to Houston? If so, you might want to start taking precautions and making tentative plans now. Just in case. Might just be a heavy rain event, but you never know.

The metal for the roof was supposed to be in at the roofers on 06-11, but we haven't heard anything further. It is supposed to take a week for the job, so there is not a very high likelihood that we will get a solid week without rain when they schedule the work. I tried like hell to fix the leaks on the roof over several days, but best I could do was to slow it down quite a bit. Fortunately none of the leaking water coming into the living space, but just from the soffit overhanging the enclosed porch. But I am sure that means some damaged boards in the decking that will need to be replaced.

Hmm, I have to find some video I took of the roof a while back that shows all the rusted areas that convinced me to have to roof replaced instead of just patching up that one section.

To further complicate things, when we had the oak tree removed that caused that roof damage, one of the guys impacted the roof over the porch (which is not scheduled to be replaced) with the machinery he was using and cut into the edge of one of the panels. I did not realize it earlier, as we had not had rain since the damage and before the guy came out to figure out what needed to be done for the repair, but apparently the impact from that machinery also broke the caulk seal between that damaged panel and the one next to it. I discovered that when we got over 3 inches of rain yesterday. It is leaking quite noticeably there now on the porch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvVGNvIidY8

But in any event, I am confident that Murphy's Law has me squarely in his sights for that roof work. I seem to constantly be a target of his attention.

As for the Florida hurricanes, they really haven't been all that bad or threatening, discounting Michael, of course. But the good thing is that we don't have animals any longer, so if we need to bail out to a different part of the country temporarily, no big deal. Worse come to worse we can sleep fairly comfortably in the Grand Cherokee if need be if accommodations are sparse because of evacuations. Hopefully COVID is on the decline enough that it won't be the major concern it has been for the complication of compounding one emergency on top of another.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
WebSlave
Looks like the updated forecast has moved the bulk of the rain eastward into Louisiana and Mississippi. Doesn't appear that it will develop into a hurricane status storm.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
wish we could get some rain, stuck in a giant heat wave and drought out here (and my family in AZ and CA, all in heat wave/drought). Dad said 115 out by him today, yuck.
Although I don't want hurricanes either

Old 06-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
WebSlave
We were going through a hot and dry spell here in north Florida, too, but on Saturday that broke when we got over 3 inches of rain in a couple of hours.

I expect we will get a lot more rain next weekend from that tropical storm moving up from the Gulf.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #8
WebSlave
Man, can I call it or what? Just contacted the roofers and they said they can be out here on Monday, 06-21 at 08:30am to start working on the roof, weather permitting. Well I don't think the weather is going to "permit". That tropical storm, or whatever it turns out developing into, will likely be making landfall in Louisiana sometime in the afternoon on Saturday. Which means we will likely be getting heavy rains from it through at least mid week following. Which, of course, is the week of 06-21.

I sure as heck don't want them ripping off sections of the roof with the possibility of rain looming. I know I should trust professionals to know what they are doing, but I have had my fill of "professionals" screwing up one thing or another.

For instance, when we had some trees removed recently, I was watching the whole thing taking video of it all, and when they got to the point where they were cutting what was left of the live oak next to the house, I noticed they had left a rather large limb that had been overhanging the house. That had a piece of machinery roped to the truck to pull it away from the house when it was cut through, but that branch was going to cause a problem. I just knew it. I was actually shaking my head when they were cutting, and sure enough, when that trunk hit the ground, the branch had enough mass and weight that it made the trunk roll when it hit the ground. That branch hit the corner of our screen pool enclosure. Fortunately there was no damage that I could see, but that was just pure luck. I would have felt like a fool yelling out to these guys about what I could see was going to happen, but heck, these were people who do this sort of thing day in and day out, so who am I?

I am generating the video I took of my inspecting the roof with a drone, but it is taking FOREVER for YouTube to process that HD version. It's in 4K/60fps and is 12 minutes long. File size is 3.3 GB. I checked to see what the max is for uploads to YouTube, and apparently it is 256 GB or 12 hours long, whichever is less. I'm thinking it would take more than a month for YouTube to process something like that. Not to mention the length of time to render such a video and then upload it. Heck, who would have TIME and PATIENCE enough to watch a 12 hour video anyway?

I might generate a video of the tree removal clips I did, but heck, I dunno. For the effort and time, is it really worthwhile doing that for a video that might be of interest and get viewed by only 10 people? Not that I make any money off of YouTube anyway, but at least I can have them host my videos for free instead of taking up space on my own server.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
WebSlave
Ventusky.com is showing another tropical system being born in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, 06-29. This time developing on the western edge of Cuba, much like the one they showed a couple of weeks ago that just dissipated. So not sure how accurate they will be on this one.

But gee, with any "luck" I will have the new roof installed by then only to have it blown off or punched through by a falling tree during this possible hurricane coming through here. Won't that just be ducky?

Old 06-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #10
WebSlave
The new tropical storm mentioned above is now showing that it is forecast to be making a turn to the northwest when it comes into the Gulf, so I guess people in Texas need to keep a keen eye on it towards the end of next week.

The roofers cancelled out for today and said they will see how tomorrow goes. Chances are they will cancel out then too. I'm thinking that unless they work over the weekend, nothing will get done till next week. No rush on our part, so no big deal either way. Connie hurt herself working outside so will likely be laid up for several days anyway. The rain is a good excuse for her to just take it easy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!