Best Snake Pets: what are your opinions? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
zookeeperfrank
Best Snake Pets: what are your opinions?

What snakes would you pick as the “best” to keep as pets? This article covers my choices for the 5 “Best Snake Pets”, with care & natural history information http://bitly.com/Yce4oa

Old 12-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
reticguy76
define "best". easiest to keep, most tame, smallest and most manageable, etc ??

Old 12-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
define "best". easiest to keep, most tame, smallest and most manageable, etc ??
Hi, thanks for your interest. As mentioned in the article, each had different characteristics as well as some that cross species lines; these are highlighted in the species accounts. Individual preferences and abilities, resources, etc are of course critical. Best, Frank

Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
jjc reptiles
African house snakes. The only way I can describe my two is the strength of boa, personalty of a corn snake, and feeding response of a kingsnake.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc reptiles View Post
African house snakes. The only way I can describe my two is the strength of boa, personalty of a corn snake, and feeding response of a kingsnake.

Great choice, thank you...I thought about them; am planing an article soon, Best, Frank

Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
jjc reptiles
You can't do better than house snakes!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Focal
I think you need to reveal more details as to what you expect. Are you looking for something to display or hold? Nocturnal or diurnal? Do you have lots to spend on a setup or do you already have a setup and what type? Are you limited on types of rodents or can you easily get live/frozen rats, lizards, crickets, mice etc? I guess the better question is what do you expect to feed and not feed? Are you willing to take on a higher humidity animal or is that something you don't want to be burdened with?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
barnhatt
Rufous Beaked Snakes, I know they're rear fanged but I've had quite a few over the years and none of them have ever shown any signs of aggression.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnhatt View Post
Rufous Beaked Snakes, I know they're rear fanged but I've had quite a few over the years and none of them have ever shown any signs of aggression.
I'm very interested in those, but never recommend them or similar for private collections. Over the course of my career I've seen serious reactions to rear fanged snakes of various species...can be due to individual sensitivities, etc. Also, venom evolves/changes over time in some species, and those of most rear-fanged snakes have been little studied, so we do not have a good handle on treatment...there can be nasty surprises lurking. Best, frank

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!