Paypal Alternatives. Help please. Seller woes - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #11
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for payment options and this thread comes close to hitting on what I wanted to know.

I plan to sell some baby ackies and I understand that paypal does not allow payment for live animals anymore. They are already personna non grata here for some of their other policies, but now they are completely out of the question.

I see references to using Zelle and other services.

I don't mind waiting for payment, such as waiting for a check to clear, but I don't want to ask buyers to wait, nor ask them to extend their trust to an unknown entity by sending checks/MOs without some sort of assurance/protection.

What is everyone using for electronic payment and how is it working?

Thank you,
Ed
I've don't use PayPal anymore for snake sales, I use venmo, cashapp or zelle. I look at it this way, if I don't trust the person with my money I shouldn't be buying animals from them.

I had a customer file a claim with PayPal to get a NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT back after they ghosted me and decided not to finish paying for the animal. Now, if they would have come to me and asked, I probably would've returned the money, they didn't though.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #12
Socratic Monologue
I know this isn't your question, but your question in part depends on it: I can't find any prohibition on using PP to pay for or sell live animals except for their "Alternative Payments Methods" agreement (whatever that is):

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/apm-tnc

All the 'normal' prohibited goods should be listed here, but live animals are not:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...ptableuse-full

I'd be interested in a citation for the claim that PP doesn't allow its services to be used for live animal sales.

I respect some of the other reasons people won't use PP, though.

To answer your question, I use PP for shipped animals, Square reader for show sales (I've only used this for less than a year now). I personally would not use Zelle as a buyer, if I'm correct in believing that Zelle does not offer any buyer protection.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #13
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond GenetiX View Post
I had a customer file a claim with PayPal to get a NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT back after they ghosted me and decided not to finish paying for the animal.
I'm curious: how did that turn out?

Old 10-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #14
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I personally would not use Zelle as a buyer, if I'm correct in believing that Zelle does not offer any buyer protection.
It does not have any protection, but I'm also not buying from people I don't trust enough to send money to.

Quote:
I'm curious: how did that turn out?
I refunded, I couldn't tie up 6k for a 150 dispute. I will no longer take PayPal for deposits or new customers. I've lost one sale because of that and they probably wouldn't have purchased anyway.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #15
bcr229
If you expect your total annual sales to be more than $600/year I'd recommend looking into https://www.waveapps.com/.

Wave offers free accounting services through their online portal, and make their money through credit card processing services; Stripe is the back-end processor. My overall rate last month was 3.17% (swipe fees vary by type of credit card).

I brought up the $600 threshold due to the change in 1099-K reporting requirements by merchant processors - https://wallethacks.com/600-dollar-v...pal-tax-rule/]. Wave also has a mechanism to track your expenses, making it easy to generate a balance sheet or profit/loss statement so that even if you do get a 1099-K you can show the reported amount wasn't all taxable profit.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #16
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond GenetiX View Post
I've don't use PayPal anymore for snake sales, I use venmo, cashapp or zelle. I look at it this way, if I don't trust the person with my money I shouldn't be buying animals from them.
Thank you, I appreciate your suggestions!

Old 10-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #17
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
I understand that paypal does not allow payment for live animals anymore.
Years ago it was true, but EVERY year PayPal updates its TOS, including policy changes. Here is this year's list of ineligible items:

Ineligible items and transactions

The following items or transactions are not eligible for PayPal’s Purchase Protection program:
Real estate, including residential property
Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, aircraft, and boats, except for personally portable light vehicles used for recreational purposes like bicycles and wheeled hoverboards
Businesses (when you buy or invest in a business)
Industrial machinery used in manufacturing
Payments that are equivalent to cash, including stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards
Payments made in respect of gold (whether in physical form or exchange-traded form)
Financial products or investments of any kind
Gambling, gaming, and/or any other activities with an entry fee and a prize
Donations, including payments on crowdfunding platforms as well as payments made on crowdlending platforms
Payments to a state-run body (except for state-owned enterprises), government agencies, or third parties acting on behalf of state-run bodies or government agencies
Payments to any bill payment service
Significantly Not as Described claims for wholly or partly custom-made items
Item Not Received claims for physical, tangible items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf. This includes items bought in a seller’s point of sale location, except if you paid for the transaction in person using PayPal’s goods and services QR code
Anything prohibited by PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy
Payments made using PayPal Payouts (formerly Mass Pay)
Personal Payments including payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality
Payments that you have not sent using your PayPal account
Items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items.

Note that live animals are not on the list. Also note. however, that prohibited are items prohibited in the Acceptable Use Policy. While live animals are not on that list either, illegal items are, so if your reptile should by legally prohibited in a certain jurisdiction you will not have protection. Please note that the updates are annual, so that you should as a buyer or seller check the annual updates.

There IS a prohibition against live animals using Alternative Payment Methods, detailed here:

Old 10-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #18
E.Shell
Quote:
I know this isn't your question, but your question in part depends on it: I can't find any prohibition on using PP to pay for or sell live animals except for their "Alternative Payments Methods" agreement (whatever that is):

All the 'normal' prohibited goods should be listed here, but live animals are not:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...ptableuse-full

I'd be interested in a citation for the claim that PP doesn't allow its services to be used for live animal sales.

I respect some of the other reasons people won't use PP, though.
Thank you for bringing that up. I will admit to seeing/parroting comments to that effect and not actually reading the terms. I have an inactive PP account, but stopped using them following other policy changes.
Quote:
To answer your question, I use PP for shipped animals, Square reader for show sales (I've only used this for less than a year now).
Does the Square system allow one to process a remote card?
Quote:
I personally would not use Zelle as a buyer, if I'm correct in believing that Zelle does not offer any buyer protection.
I didn't fully understand their site, but kept seeing a notation "1" next to key statements and ran out of patience without ever finding the footnote.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #19
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
If you expect your total annual sales to be more than $600/year I'd recommend looking into https://www.waveapps.com/.

Wave offers free accounting services through their online portal, and make their money through credit card processing services; Stripe is the back-end processor. My overall rate last month was 3.17% (swipe fees vary by type of credit card).

I brought up the $600 threshold due to the change in 1099-K reporting requirements by merchant processors - https://wallethacks.com/600-dollar-v...pal-tax-rule/]. Wave also has a mechanism to track your expenses, making it easy to generate a balance sheet or profit/loss statement so that even if you do get a 1099-K you can show the reported amount wasn't all taxable profit.
Thank you. I appreciate your suggestion and will look into that. The law is a definite consideration and having a built-in ability to cleanly account for sales revenue is a plus.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #20
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Years ago it was true, but EVERY year PayPal updates its TOS, including policy changes. Here is this year's list of ineligible items:

Ineligible items and transactions
<snip>
...list...
</snip>
Note that live animals are not on the list. Also note. however, that prohibited are items prohibited in the Acceptable Use Policy. While live animals are not on that list either, illegal items are, so if your reptile should by legally prohibited in a certain jurisdiction you will not have protection. Please note that the updates are annual, so that you should as a buyer or seller check the annual updates.

There IS a prohibition against live animals using Alternative Payment Methods, detailed here:

Thank you Lucille, I appreciate your help. I was probably confused in the discussions I saw and the APM rules.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!