Hurricane season: Are you prepared? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
rosebud945
Hurricane season: Are you prepared?

Well, I live in SE Texas near Galveston, and we are still recovering from Ike last year. Now the Atlantic is filling up with storms again.

I had to evacuate my birds, herps and mammals last year, and the only reason that it wasn't a complete nightmare is that I was prepared. We had had three close calls prior to Ike, so I had travel containers made for every animal or group and had places lined up for us and for my animals ahead of time.

If a storm makes landfall in your area, then you have to plan that you will not have power for days up to months. You have to remember that there will be very little gas to travel, very little supplies on store shelves, and forget finding much for your animals. When I evacuated, I took food for all of my animals to last at least a few weeks to a month.

Here is a list of things that I made sure to get prior to the evacuation:
Glad or rubbermaid food storage containers -- I bought a variety if sizes to accommodate my lizard sizes and hot glue gunned screen to the ends so that I could stack them and the lizards could still get air. They worked perfect!

Travel cages/kennels I had my bird and mammal travel cages cleaned and prepped ahead of time. I also grabbed all of the bags of food that I had for them, and that was plenty to get them through the month away from home.

Feeders I made sure that I had plenty of feeders to pack, and since my animals had to stay where they were for a month because we had no power, I had crix and supplies sent to my wonderful critter sitters who sheltered my animals.

Lighting/heating I grabbed all of my big lamps and UVB bulbs and some extra bulbs for the herps.

Rubbermaid or other large storage bins I was able to cram a few small tanks into the back of my truck, but mostly I bought RM containers to take and bought some when I got to my destination. These worked really well to house my lizards in for the duration, plus I was grateful to have been allowed to shelter them at a fellow herper's house inland who had extra tanks on hand. We had planned out when we would need for me to bring ahead of time.

Hot/cold packs These are mostly for the evacuation itself. I nearly lost animals during the Rita evacuation because we were on the road in the dead of summer heat for 27 hours straight. So if you have heat sensitive animals, you should get those cold packs that you break to activate.

I can't think of anything else. if others can add to the list, that would be great!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
WebSlave
Hey, it's the Daytona Beach expo next weekend. I think it now attracts hurricanes.....

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
rosebud945

Rich, you better take yer floaties and yer surf board! I hear Bill might be paying the East coast a visit!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud945 View Post

Rich, you better take yer floaties and yer surf board! I hear Bill might be paying the East coast a visit!
From the track I see, I believe Bill will swing north and probably won't even make landfall. The curve is getting steeper in that direction with every update.

But Ana, now, that's a different story. Each iteration of the forecast shows the path getting further south. So if it skirts underneath Cuba and then swings into the Gulf of Mexico, without being weakened going directly over Cuba, then we're going to have a REAL problem on our hands.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
rosebud945
Yeah, I am smack in the middle of the cone if it makes it into the gulf. But they say it probably won't develop into a TS before it hits Florida. Now it could get ugly by the time it hits the NW part of the gulf where I am!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
JordanAng420
Plenty of water for each animal is always a necessity....I usually figure one gallon per animal...depending on the size of the animal, that is...(one gallon could be more than enough for 5-6 leopard geckos)

Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
Exotic_Domestics
Im not worried, been through so many that for me and my family its just a storm passing by.

No big deal. The worse of it though is when the power goes off, that usually causes the A/C to go off, and the air usually gets very humid with the rain outside which leads to the worst relaxing climates possible. Water is never an issue in Miami.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!