Woman Mauled By Chimp Gets Face Transplant - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
SamanthaJane13
Talking Woman Mauled By Chimp Gets Face Transplant

BOSTON -- A Connecticut woman who underwent a full face transplant after an attack by a chimpanzee wants to eat hamburgers and pizza again.

Officials at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston say they performed the face transplant on Charla Nash late last month.

Nash's brother, Steve Nash, said at a news conference Friday that his sister wants to enjoy a slice of pizza from their favorite pizza parlor in their hometown of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

The 30-member surgical team under the leadership of Dr. Bohdan Pomahac also performed a double hand transplant on Nash, but the hands failed to thrive and were removed.

Pohmahac says Nash will slowly regain facial functions over the next six to nine months.

John Orr, a spokesman for the Nash family, said Nash developed numerous health problems after the surgery and only recently regained consciousness.

"She developed pneumonia, she had kidney failure, she had the circulation issue with the hands," Orr said. "She's been under, so to speak, since this whole thing began, and now she's just starting to wake up."

Orr said he has not seen Nash, but is told by her brother, Stephen, that Nash looks "fantastic, in terms of the face."

Orr said the donor's identity has been kept secret, but was a "fairly consistent match" for Nash.

The donor can be as much as 20 years younger or up to 10 years older than the recipient and must have the same blood type and similar skin color and texture.

"She's not aware of the hands, that she lost them," he said. "She's still groggy. She's acknowledging with a nod that someone is there, but she still has pneumonia issues. The kidneys are back working, but she isn't aware of too much yet."

The 200-pound pet chimpanzee, named Travis, went berserk in February 2009 after its owner asked Nash to help lure it back into her house. It ripped off Nash's hands, nose, lips and eyelids, blinding her before being shot and killed by police.

The owner, Sandra Herold, has speculated that the chimp was trying to protect her and attacked Nash because she had changed her hairstyle, was driving a different car and was holding a stuffed toy in front of her face to get Travis' attention.

Nash's family is suing the estate of the chimp's owner, Sandra Herold, for $50 million and wants to sue the state for $150 million, saying state officials failed to prevent the attack. Herold, who had a tow truck business, died last year of an aneurysm.

Since the attack, Nash wore a straw hat with a veil to cover some of her injuries.

About a dozen face transplants have been done worldwide, in the U.S., France, Spain and China.

There have been two others performed at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Dallas Wiens became the nation's first face transplant patient there in March.

The 25-year-old Fort Worth, Texas man received a new nose, lips, skin, muscle and nerves from an unidentified dead person in an operation paid for by the U.S. military, which wants to use what is learned to help soldiers with severe facial wounds.

Wiens' features were all but burned away and he was left blind after hitting a power line while painting a church in November 2008.

Mitch Hunter, a 30-year-old Indiana man, received the surgery in April.

Hunter's face was severely disfigured and burned during a car accident that toppled high-voltage electrical wires. He also lost his left leg below the knee and two fingers.

The simultaneous face and hands surgery has been done only once before, in France in 2009, and that patient later died.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._lnk1%7C215643

Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
rcarichter
This is the single most horrific, idiotic, and heartbreaking exotic animal story of our lifetime. Why, why, why was this nut allowed to keep an intelligent 200 lb animal in a cage. I know the owner has since died, and I can't say that I'm sorry. I don't say that lightly. This story makes me want to scream! God Bless you Charla.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state
http://news.yahoo.com/chimp-attack-v...--finance.html

HARTFORD, Connecticut (Reuters) - A woman whose face and hands were ripped off by a friend's pet chimpanzee in 2009 came to the Connecticut State Capitol on Friday to ask permission to sue the state for $150 million in damages.

Charla Nash, 60, who has undergone a face transplant and many other surgeries, including a failed double-hand transplant, spoke to the Connecticut General Assembly's Judiciary Committee.

"My name is Charla Nash and I'm hoping you can make a decision based on the fact that the state knew what was happening and failed to protect me," said Nash, her head wrapped with protective white gauze.

Her legal team has said that before the attack, the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environment Protection (DEEP) described the illegally owned, 200-pound (90 kilogram) chimp as a serious threat to public safety.

She asked lawmakers to pass legislation overruling a June decision by state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. denying her request to waive Connecticut's sovereign immunity from lawsuits.

"I want the chance to pay my medical bills, and live a comfortable life. But I also want to make sure that what happened to me never happens to anyone else ever again," said Nash, who wore a white hat with ear flaps over the gauze protecting her still-healing head.

She now lives in a Boston-area convalescent facility where she is highly dependent on staff.

Nash was at the Stamford home of her friend and employer, Sandra Herold, when Herold's pet chimp, Travis, attacked her, leaving her blind and disfigured. The animal was shot dead at the scene by a Stamford police officer.

Her lawyer, Charles Willinger of Bridgeport, insisted that his client has the right to have her day in court.

"The facts you will shortly hear - and these are facts that will shock you - demonstrate the failure and omission of a state agency to properly and legally protect the public. What you will hear will be upsetting and appalling," Willinger said.

Her legal team has argued that she has the right for a court to decide whether to find the state negligent, despite Connecticut's sovereign immunity law, which makes it difficult to sue the state in such cases.

But state Attorney General George Jepsen said that allowing Nash to sue the state would "open the floodgates for unlimited lawsuits and liability that would bankrupt the state" and lawmakers should reject her request.

"Regardless of the extent of Ms. Nash's injuries, or whether in hindsight, DEEP could have done things differently or better, the law does not support this claim. Nor is it in the public interest to grant it," Jepsen said at the hearing.

Nash filed a lawsuit against Herold, who died in 2010. In 2012, a settlement was reached in the amount of $4 million, nearly the entire amount of Herold's estate.

Willinger said Connecticut is one of only several states in the country that maintains sovereign immunity, and the only one where a single claims commissioner makes the decision.

"This case is about the systemic, institutional gross negligence of the Department of Energy and Environment Protection, from the commissioner all the way down to its police force," Willinger said. "What we're asking for is to let a court of law decide whether the DEEP was negligent."

Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
JColt
She willingly helped this woman for years before attack. I know she needs money but I think she's just as at fault. You just dont play with adult chimps. I'd go into a gorilla cage with 5 of them before I'd get near a chimp.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I'd go into a gorilla cage with 5 of them...

You be crazy.

I don't think I'd pick chimps, gorillas, or orangutans.

This probably would have never happened if it was a little spider monkey or something else little.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
rcarichter
I'd choose a gorilla over the other apes, but certainly none belong in a private home. This poor woman deserves more than she could ever be given at this point. The amount of help and comfort she receives from a settlement is a tiny fraction compared how much of her body was lost in this attack.
Most on this forum, including myself, keep exotic animals. Some, excluding myself, keep animals that could kill them in a matter of seconds. People I've met that keep very large or venomous snakes follow protocols each and every time they interact with these animals. They do not take them out and put clothes on them, let them eat at restaurants, sit freely next to them in cars, etc. This was simply inexcusable.

Noelle

Old 03-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
This probably would have never happened if it was a little spider monkey or something else little.
smaller monkeys would just rip off ears, nose, etc...
Honestly, I don't believe primates to be suitable pets.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
smaller monkeys would just rip off ears, nose, etc...
Honestly, I don't believe primates to be suitable pets.

You know, I think I agree with that last statement.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
JColt
Back in 1977 my friend's mother had 4 or 5 monkeys. They had a huge enclosure with fake tree's and pond. They had the life. She was a bit crazy. My friend and I went to his house after a night of drinking. Those monkeys some how opened the sliding glass door and got out. When we got in there was just faint light from the kitchen and we were trying to be quiet and not wake up his mom. Then this wooly monkey jumped up on my shoulder's and grabbed my hair and started yanking backwards. I thought either my neck would snap or I would be scalped. Little turd was screaming up a storm also! He was around 15 to 20 pounds and I thought I had a grown man on my back. Scared bejezus outta me. Finally got him of just in time for friends mother to come running into room (half naked thanks I'm hurt and half bald now I'm blind) just to scream at me at the top of her lungs about hurting her baby and how dare I mistreat them that way. Ahh good times.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
rcarichter
I actually had two different friends whose parents kept large cats; one had two mountain lions and the other had a tiger. I remember both properties having huge outdoor enclosures. (We were never allowed anywhere near the cats). The tiger was raised by Mr. H from the time it was tiny, and he played and interacted with it every day. In the summer, he loved to swim with the tiger. One day they were swimming, and the tiger took a swipe at Mr. H's head. Killed him instantly. Not sure what happened after that; it was in the summer and my friend never returned to that school (they moved). I would guess the authorities killed an endangered animal for behaving naturally.
Looking back, I wonder how my mother ever let me go to these people's homes without checking it out herself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!