Quince Vs Mertens' which one is more tameable? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #1
Joeshmoe
Quince Vs Mertens' which one is more tameable?

I know any animal you put time into will eventually become more used to you, but I'm asking which one by it's natural character is more likely to be a pet? There's a vast difference in natural character traits from an Asian Water monitor vs A Nile Monitor. I'm interested in determining which of those two species (Quince and Mertens') seems to show more of those asian water monitor like "pet" or "companionship" traits. If anyone has long experience with both of these any and all information would be appreciated thank you.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
Varanexan
I would recommend Varanus mertensi for the simple fact that they are captive bred in the United States and become readily tame as they mature. Michael Stefani @ Mike's Monitors! successfully keeps and breeds the species. You should have no trouble sourcing them. Varanus melinus is virtually always wild-caught (no matter what the dealer may say otherwise [without documented and photographic evidence.]) Imports will come in traumatized and internally compromised. It is a secretive Indonesian forest species, endemic to the Sula Islands. The population is declining. For those reasons, it is a poor choice, especially for someone desiring a "tame" lizard.

A stable, healthy and well-adjusted V. mertensi that has been captive bred along with the breeder's support and guidance will be your best bet. Period. Will it cost more? Absolutely. Will it be worth every penny? Undoubtedly.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
Joeshmoe
Thank you very much for your help. I will check out Mike's website. Have a great day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!