Hybrids or mutations of protected species... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
AftonFarmRatty
Hybrids or mutations of protected species...

Can you keep hybrids or mutations of protected species, such as the black ratsnake, Pantherophis (Elaphe) o. obsoleta?

I've attempted to include a link to a post I made earlier, which seems to have been made on the wrong forum...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=34662

In recent weeks I've been curious about this question. I talked to a herper in Georgia who wanted to keep a corn snake, which is a protected species in GA. I said he should get into Great Plains ratsnakes, or mutations, or hybrids of corn snakes. He eventually said he was going to drop it because he doubted the state could tell the difference and he didn't want to get into trouble.

Now I'm curious about the northern states where the black ratsnake and others are protected. I live in Michigan, but I know it's also protected in Ohio, and probably several other states nearby. I don't see why mutations or intergrades wouldn't be acceptable pets from a legitimate breeder, but I'm not sure how the different states would feel. I'm guessing MI wouldn't allow albino black rats since I could only get a normal one with a permit and may have asked about mutations. I don't remember for sure.

Maybe some other members could comment on the laws affecting mutations, intergrades, and hybrids in the various states where the desired species are protected.

Thanks.....Ratty

Old 03-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
meretseger
Black rat mutations still have to be permitted in Ohio. Hybrids wouldn't but if it looked a lot like a black rat you'd probably want to have a LOT of proof. And there wouldn't be a point to having a black rat hybrid that wasn't.... black, you know?

Erin B.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
I was at a show once, where no native herps were allowed due to a state law. I believe it was either Maryland or NJ. No cornsnakes allowed, with the exception of albinos and designer corns - they were all ok because they law only included protection for those normally found in nature (as it was explained to me anyhow). These states might be worth checking with to verify such.

All the best,
Glenn B

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!