Is it legal to have San Francisco garters? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
Is it legal to have San Francisco garters?

The San Diego Zoo has four or five of them on display. They would be so easy to breed in captiivity.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
shrap
They are listed as an endangered species. So no they are not legal. There is a big write up on them in the April issue of Reptiles Mag that I just got in the mail. Gorgeous animals for sure!!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
aliceinwl
From what I can gather they are quite popular in Europe and are captive bred there by enthusiasts. I'm pretty sure that the specimens in at least some of the U.S. zoos are actually captive bred animals imported from Europe. As far as I know, there are no legal captive bred animals in the hands of private individuals in North America and so far no permits have been issued for private individuals to import them from Europe. Like Shrap said, the wild population is endangered and is strictly protected.

-Alice

Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Ameivaboy
The problem with europes SF garters is they have been heavily inbred for many generations. the SF garters currently on display in North american zoo are from 5 mixed pairs (mixed but still inbred) of yearlings from europe in 2005. 3 of the pairs went to the SD zoo and the other 2 pairs went to the SF zoo

Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Stevefromsd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameivaboy
The problem with europes SF garters is they have been heavily inbred for many generations. the SF garters currently on display in North american zoo are from 5 mixed pairs (mixed but still inbred) of yearlings from europe in 2005. 3 of the pairs went to the SD zoo and the other 2 pairs went to the SF zoo
Does that include the San Diego Zoo? I think they have 4 on display.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
Stevefromsd
Oops. I just read you said SD Zoo

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!