Looking to Get Into the Herp Hobby... Need Advice! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Abby
Arrow Looking to Get Into the Herp Hobby... Need Advice!

Hello everyone. I have recently decided that I would like to start raising Ball Pythons. I have owned one for about 3 years now and have loved snakes since I was very little. I have owned Cornsnakes, Milksnakes, Kingsnakes, Ratsnakes, Iguanas, and water dragons before so I do have experience with herps. I currently raise goats and rabbits, but figured that if I sold my goat herd I would have a good amount of money to start into the snakes. The reason I have made a post about this is because I am completely lost as to how I would go about doing this. I have read tons of stuff on these wonderful animals, but there isn't a whole lot of information out there on how to get into them. Here are some of the things I would like to know:

-What is the best type of caging for breeding?
-What would be a reasonable price to pay for this caging?
-How many snakes is a good number to start out with?
-Is it better to let the mother incubate her own eggs, or take them away and do it yourself?
-What sort of Ball Pythons should I start with? Morphs, Hets, or Normals?

I just don't want to rush into this without being completely prepaired. If anyone has tips or information that could help me it would be greatly appreciated! You can email me privately at Abi214@msn.com with any information. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you : )

Old 06-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
SPJ
-What is the best type of caging for breeding?
Racks

-What would be a reasonable price to pay for this caging?
Under $1000 for a good commercially made one.

-How many snakes is a good number to start out with?
At least 2

-Is it better to let the mother incubate her own eggs, or take them away and do it yourself?
Incubator. Easier to control the temps/humidity and easier to get the female eating again since she is not sitting on eggs.

-What sort of Ball Pythons should I start with? Morphs, Hets, or Normals?
Up to you. Depends upon what you want to ultimately produce.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
hhmoore
Just to expand on the rack idea a bit: While there are a variety of racks, basically they will divided into two types...those that utilize a hanging/floating tub, and those that utilize shelves. From those basic starting points, you branch into construction materials, number of tubs, etc. You can make your own for pretty cheap, or spend thousands, depending on your tastes and budget. There are several discussions about racks, including pros and cons of various types...if you can't locate them, start another, lol. Seems people are usually willing to talk about that subject, and the proponents of one system are generally even nice to the people that prefer other ones - that's saying something, these days.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
garweft
My advise would be to get the snake you have sexed. If it's a male then get an adult normal female and give breeding a try with some normals first. If it's a female then pick up a pastel male and give breeding a try. This way your getting your start for less than a few hundred dollars.

Either way you should start small and get everything worked out before spending any large amount of money. I think people that spend a few thousand dollars on breeder snakes, that have not bred them before, are foolish. Make sure you have some experience before getting in deep.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft
My advise would be to get the snake you have sexed. If it's a male then get an adult normal female and give breeding a try with some normals first. If it's a female then pick up a pastel male and give breeding a try. This way your getting your start for less than a few hundred dollars.

Either way you should start small and get everything worked out before spending any large amount of money. I think people that spend a few thousand dollars on breeder snakes, that have not bred them before, are foolish. Make sure you have some experience before getting in deep.

Good advice!

Also know that breeding and keeping snakes is expensive! Supplies, caging, vet visits, food. Its a money pit. Don't spend more than you can afford to lose. They are living creatures and there are no definites. No guarantees that they will grow as fast as you want them to or breed when you want them to. Breed morphs that you enjoy. Don't expect to make millions. Enjoy the animals and the experience and anything you might make in the future is gravy. Best of luck!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
Also know that breeding and keeping snakes is expensive! Supplies, caging, vet visits, food. Its a money pit. Don't spend more than you can afford to lose. They are living creatures and there are no definites.
Aint that the truth.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
Abby
SPJ - Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it. I was thinking racks were the way to go. I have no experience with all of the things I read on the sites about racks though (heat tape and all that stuff), does that usually come built into the rack, or do you have to install everything yourself? Snakes are a bit more complicated than mammals for sure : )

hhmoore - I know I won't have enough money to spend thousands of dollars on the cages (I'm only 16!), so I will probably look into constructing my own cages with the help of my dad. He is all for raising snakes - he is just glad to see the goats go : ) but like I said before since I don't have any experience with heat tape and humidity gauges and all that stuff I am hoping to find a rack that has all that built in (if I can afford it). Also, what is the prefered tub size for breeders? Most of the cage dealer sites I've looked at are for geckos.... not really what I'm looking for lol.

garweft - I am looking to get my snake sexed soon, although I believe "she" is a female from her general appearance. I have also studied up on "popping" and have tried this with her, with no hemipenes present. I would still like to have a professional probe her for me though. Just to be safe. Just curious - why did you suggest a pastel male? What price do they usually run for? I am definitely going to start out small (one male, 2 or 3 females) before I get into it heavy (although I have a feeling I'm going to get hooked fast!).

jglass38 - I understand about the cost, after all I currently raise goats : ) but thank you for the reminder. Some people just see dollar signs when they decide to breed animals, and then before they realize it they are in too deep and can't afford to properly care for their animals. I don't want to get into them for the money, I just enjoy having them around : ) I can't wait until I have my first clutch born though, I'm already excited and I don't even have a pair of snakes yet! lol. I definitely want to get myself a good set up before I buy another snake though - I don't want to get ahead of myself. I also need to establish how far away the nearest reptile vet is, because I know my livestock vet isn't too keen on snakes!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
Abby
By the way guys, sorry for all of the questions! I really appreciate the help!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
Walrus
Ball Pythons

Just thought I would let you know. I recently purchased four baby Ball Pythons from Alex Hue of Alexhuereptiles. The Baby Balls were only 10 for the males and 15 for the females. I had to pay shipping fees of course. Which was about 45 from the East Coast to the West Coast. While I didn't have that positive experience from some of the people on the forum the Ball Python's I recieved came to me already sexed and they are quite beautiful in the coloring. He may still have some left. I think the price is the best you will find for Baby Ball Pythons. They are just normals so if you are looking for something more than just a normal Ball Python he may still have one but I don't think they would be at that price. I plan on breeding mine when they get old enough. Have fun with your snakes. Let me know if you get any?

Old 06-17-2007, 12:01 AM   #10
Walrus
Tubs

Just a thought. I might get slammed for suggesting this but you can go to WalMart and buy a rather large plastic tote tub. You can even get the clear one for real cheap. Much cheaper than a most glass aquariums. Just a thought. Have fun

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!