Escaped Garter - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
armchairangel
Escaped Garter

We discovered today that our garter snake has escaped! We've had good luck finding other escapees in less than 24 hours, so we know all about what kinds of places to look. Are there any helpful tips for finding garters in particular?

A few details that might make a difference in advice given. The snakes are kept in the uncooled upstairs (in the afternoon, the temps can get up to 95) - would a garter in this environment possibly try to find a cool spot instead of the typical warm place?

In our initial search, we discovered a few places where it might have crawled into the wall or the unfinished (insulation exposed) attic space. How could you draw it out and keep it out for later retrieval? Luckily, it hasn't eaten for a while, so we were thinking putting out a bowl or two of some minnows might be a really good lure, but how does one prevent it from going back into its hiding place?

I searched the forum here for garter snake search tips and the only thing I could find was mention of a pop bottle trap, but then no follow up as to how to make one.

We'd really appreciate any advice to help find our little guy. Thanks!!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
romad119
Hmm pop bottle trap. I'm gueesing that you cut the top off a 2 liter and then reverse it (top pointing inwards) and reattach. Kind of like a one way minnow trap.

Perhaps brace the sides so it doesn't roll around and palce a lil water with a minnow or two inside.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
armchairangel
Hmmmm! Never thought of inverting the top.... Good idea!! We tried just a regular 2 liter. When the husband gets home, we'll have to make that alteration if she hasn't come out yet.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
99Vengeur
If you have no other pets (like cats or dogs), I have heard that flower or baby powder sprinkled all over the floor is a good way to track an escaped snake.....it allows you to see where they are going or have been. The 2 liter bottle is also another great way to catch wandering snakes. If you believe they have climbed into a certain place, you can put up some plywood or something similar that would funnel them into the 2 liter bottle trap. I hope that you find your little Houdini!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
jsrocket
Not much you can do, besides look in the obvious places, and keep your eyes open around the house. He will probably try to get out of the attic, as ambient temps. of 95 are WAY too hot for a garter snake, or any snake I can think of , for that matter. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
armchairangel
I've put out a few nice hiding places for her that I check a couple of times each day, as well as typical snake places. We've been focusing our search close to the cages, keeping in mind that snakes don't go far from home when they get out. You think she might go against this and try to come downstairs? Heh, and if she's in the wall or in the unfinished crawlspace under the roof, any tips on how to get her out other than the pop trap that didn't catch anything?

Old 07-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
ravensgait
Well sometimes it takes a while for them to get hungry or whatever and pop out again.. I recently had one loose in my largest room and it was almost 3 weeks before I found him.. Came down at 4 in the morning and he was playing in the wires of one of the racks. Years ago I had one missing for over 3 months and had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing him again. Found him one night on the bathroom floor all the way across the house from where he was kept and this was a 5+ foot Boa.

The Powder on the floor is a good idea as it will tell you that at least it is still around. As Jim mentioned 95 is way hot and I'd look to find it somewhere cooler. Most show up sooner or later so don't give up hope...Randy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!