Possible power outage? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Nagini
Possible power outage?

Well here in N. Cali we have a fairly bad storm coming. Heavy rain and high wind. They say the power may go out due to the severity. My main concern is my snakes, in particular my gravid girl. Does anyone have any experience with a problem similar to this of how I can keep her warm if worst comes to worse and the power does go out?

I was thinking of picking up some heat packs on the way home from work, since thats what she was shipped to me with but she was delta dash so she wasnt off true heat for to long.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
shrap
I keep 60 hour heat packs around just for short term outages.

Long term outages though can be a real problem for those of us in cold weather regions. For instance, the last two nights have dropped below 5 degrees here with -15 to -20 windchills. Needless to say a long term power outage in weather like this and heat packs wont do much good.

With that in mind I dropped a $1000 on a nice generator a year or so ago. I can run a oil filled space heater or two in my herp room and all the heating devices on my cages and racks for several days on just a few gallons of gas. I keep 20 gallons in my garage every winter just for such an emergency.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Tim Cole
Same here...

We have a generator that will run essentials in my snake building and the house.
We have a propane heater in the tortoise barn. It helps that my snake building is in brumation!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!