My own little, personal pet peeve! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 03-05-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
Darin Chappell
My own little, personal pet peeve!

I know this is going to step on the toes of some here (many I count as friends). However, I am not thinking of anyone in particular when I write this, so please do not take this as a direct attack at your manner of speaking!!!

The phrase is: "I couldn't care less" . . .not, "I could care less"!!!!

The reason it is a slam to tell someone that you "couldn't" care less is that, given all of life's possible scenarios about which to have concern, you could not care less about this particular one . . .it is the lowest concern on the totem pole of life for you; nearly at the point of non-existant caring!!! See?!?!?!?

However, if you say "I could care less," what you are actually saying is that you COULD care less about the subject/person than you actually do, implying that you DO CARE about it/him/her to some degree!!!

I know, I know. this is a really stupid thing to have upset a person, especially with all of the really important stuff going on around us every day. I try to never correct anyone directly for this infraction, because it is so picky, but it ansolutely drives me INSANE!!!! So please, if you disagree, feel free to do so, but don't say you "could care less" about my pet peeve . . .I'm begging you!

P.S. I'm fairly certain the French started this practice of mis-stating a perfectly good slam!

Old 03-06-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
I hate to be picky, but...

Quote:
because it is so picky, but it ansolutely drives me INSANE!!!!
Uh, Darin...

LOL

Old 03-06-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
Darin Chappell
What can I say? I have big, fat fingers, and the "n" and "b" are right next to each other!!!

Sre wgat I mesn (See what I mean)?

LOL

Old 03-07-2003, 11:01 PM   #4
Glenn Bartley
Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn!

Just another way to say: I couldn't care less.

Old 03-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #5
jenn_jeffery
Technically, (to be picky here) :-D I believe the quote is "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!