Poll: Stop Breeding Sulcatas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:58 PM   #1
nlmiller1
Arrow Poll: Stop Breeding Sulcatas

Do you think there are too many Sulcatas produced and not enough qualified homes for them to go to? Please indicate yes/no and provide comments.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Why would you ask that?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
MikeCurtin
Because the species will live 100+ years, grow to 100+lbs, and require accommodations that most average pet owners can or will not provide, I personally would say yes.

However, I think it is the responsibility of the breeder/seller to be the one to seek out those qualified homes.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
nlmiller1
Why would you ask that?[/quote]

I ask because there seem to be more and more for sale every year. I also see more and more in rescue type situations every year. There are so many more appropriate types of tortoises to keep. It doesn't seem to make sense that so many are intentionally produced.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
You both make valid points. I was more questioning the OP's "true intentions" for starting the thread.

Since, he posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlmiller1 View Post
Keven once propositioned my wife at a Repticon Expo.
, on this thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=664704.

So, hopefully, Mike Curtin and anyone reading this thread can see my skepticism.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
Runs_With_Wolves
I say yes. I went to the Reptile Gardens in South Dakota and they have so many sulcatas. One of the keepers said most were pets who got too big.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
Ed Clark
I think that sulcatas are very much overproduced, if you read the classifieds some breeders are offering many100's of hatchlings

Our next national problem might be many released split scute sulcatas destroying the deserts of south Arizona.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Runs_With_Wolves
I hear nile monitors are becoming a problem in Flordia and Crocs are also showing up.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:04 AM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
I was more questioning the OP's "true intentions" for starting the thread.
I agree. Taken at face value, this poll makes some good points and I think that as a community it is important to discuss trends.
However, the OP has made a number of bizarre posts that operate as disruptions. I am wondering if this is a PETA person.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!