Butter House Snake -- Can anyone explain to me the combo that produced a butter morph - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
JohnCA
Question Butter House Snake -- Can anyone explain to me the combo that produced a butter morph

Greetings Everyone,

Thank you in advance for any ideas or explanations.

I am quite new to snake hobby. And I have several butter house snakes -- T positive. Very pretty in color, I think.

I have tried to read about the combination that contributed to the final version that is the butter morph?

First, generally speaking, I think that the species and subspecies explanations of house snakes seems to vary a little from article to article (i.e. I guess, to some small degree, the jury is still out on how to best label house snakes with regard to species and subspecies).

Second, in describing the butter morph, specifically, I think the butter morph is frequently mentioned but rarely explained (regarding the genetics or breeding/hybridizing that produced the butter morph).

I understand that a butter may be or is a combination or hybrid produced by breeding a Zambian green house snake with an albino house snake (perhaps several generations required to produce the desired "butter" patternless color). I've been told the Zambian green house snake is boaedon fugilinosis and the common albino house snake is boaedon capensis. And breeding those two subspecies eventually produced the butter morph. Does this sound correct to anyone?

I hope to breed my butter male to my butter females when the females are of proper size -- perhaps in 12 or 14 months. One female is currently a little over 3 feet and the other female is a little over 2 feet long. Waiting for your snakes to grow and mature ain't easy.

Thanks for your time and comments,
John

Old 11-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Showbird72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCA View Post
Greetings Everyone,

Thank you in advance for any ideas or explanations.

I am quite new to snake hobby. And I have several butter house snakes -- T positive. Very pretty in color, I think.

I have tried to read about the combination that contributed to the final version that is the butter morph?

First, generally speaking, I think that the species and subspecies explanations of house snakes seems to vary a little from article to article (i.e. I guess, to some small degree, the jury is still out on how to best label house snakes with regard to species and subspecies).

Second, in describing the butter morph, specifically, I think the butter morph is frequently mentioned but rarely explained (regarding the genetics or breeding/hybridizing that produced the butter morph).

I understand that a butter may be or is a combination or hybrid produced by breeding a Zambian green house snake with an albino house snake (perhaps several generations required to produce the desired "butter" patternless color). I've been told the Zambian green house snake is boaedon fugilinosis and the common albino house snake is boaedon capensis. And breeding those two subspecies eventually produced the butter morph. Does this sound correct to anyone?

I hope to breed my butter male to my butter females when the females are of proper size -- perhaps in 12 or 14 months. One female is currently a little over 3 feet and the other female is a little over 2 feet long. Waiting for your snakes to grow and mature ain't easy.

Thanks for your time and comments,

John

Just because you have T+ doesn’t mean they are butters.

House snakes are classified by species, morphs and locales.

Some like illumos are hybrids for example of a green fuligious and a t+ albino capensis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2019, 01:36 AM   #3
JohnCA
Thanks for your response. Your reference to the species helped me confirm my understanding of things. I knew of the hybrid composition. But regarding the F1 and F2, etc, details, I’m still a little cloudy.

I actually have a male illumo — My first house snake. And I have three butters — Later additions to the family.

The folks I purchased the snakes from are fantastic people and explained things to me via email, but I was trying to gain a slightly more detailed understanding. I can use all the education I can get.

Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boaedon, butter, capensis, fuliginosus, house snake