Rosy Boa Not Feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
vision
Rosy Boa Not Feeding

I got my Rosy Boa in early February of 2005 as a baby, the last two weeks he hasnt been eating. I've tried feeding him last week and last night, he'll smell the mouse for a bit then just move on and wont have anything to do with it. He's been acting like he's hungry (climbing and acting like he's searching around in his cage) but he just wont eat. I tried "braining one of the pinkies last night which he still wouldnt eat. I've been feeding him frozen pinkies which he's had no problem with since I got him. He didnt do this last year around this time, though I remember he shedded the week of Christmas but his eyes arent cloudy and his skin isnt dull. Any suggestions?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
lds2
I would not worry about your Rosy not feeding for a couple of weeks. You have to keep in mind that this time of year is the natural hibernation period for Rosy's so it is not uncommon for them to go off feed for an extended period of time as is their natural process.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
RyanBolton
Yep, the climbing of the walls is not a search for food, it's an attempt to find a suitable hibernaculum. There are many other enviornmental cues besides temperature that indicate its time to hibernate, and the snake is likely trying to find a nice cold area to sleep the winter away.
If feeding has stopped, then the best thing is to put the animal in an area between 50-55F for a couple of months (make sure there's no food in the gut).
Good luck!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
DAND
Too bad this isn't the reason your little one isn't feeding:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...874#post460874

Though, it is normal for the to slow and or stop this time of year. A lot of times even if the temps remain stable the photo period initiates the slowing/stopping.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Marshman
It's been a while since you posted this concern, but I love my Rosy and would like to offer my suggestions. Hibernation may be why he's not eating, but it's also possible that he's finally tired of eating pinkies. If you've had him for over a year I'd imagine he's large enough to be eating adult mice. Hopefully by now he's already eating again, anyway, and you don't need this advice, but if you do, I hope it helps. And also, remember to stun an adult mouse or feed it frozen. An adult mouse is resourceful and can hurt your snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!