BAH-1000 question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
AaronFromPA
BAH-1000 question

Hello again.

I have had my BAH-1000 hooked up now for about 5 days and it has been working OK. Currently I have the probe sitting on my tile almost on top of the hot spot generated by the UTH. Since I want the hot spot around 90-93 I set the BAH to around 90 since it is off the actual hot spot.

Through many days of trial and error I have realized I actually need to keep the temp setting around 83 or so in ordewre to keep my desired temps. Today however I woke up and my tile temp was 96+. I am thinking maybe due to the cold air temps the probe was not heating up, causing the UTH to remain on to heat it.

My point is the BAH has been just as much an issue as using a dimmer at this point. Has anyone else had trouble with this or can you give me any hints that will keep my temps stable with this thermostat?

Old 08-14-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
robin d.
try putting the probe directly on top of the heat source not on the tile on the heat source

Old 08-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
AaronFromPA
Unfortunatley this will not work as the probe end of the BAH is about a quater inch thick cylinder and will not fit under the tile.

Old 08-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
robin d.
on any thermostat you are going to have to put the probe directly on the hot spot in oder to get the correct reading....... you might want to contact big apple to see what they suggest.... i know several people whom have used this without any problem only like a +- 1-2 degree difference

Old 08-14-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
AaronFromPA
Well I will have to do just that. I came home today and the temps were great. Right where I want them. Maybe it was a fluke! I will monitor it, thank you for your help.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
Mark and Aimee
Just a word of caution - the thermostat you are using is prone to failure. They will eventually get stuck in the ON or OFF position. Stuck in the ON position will fry your animals. I'm only mentioning it because I've seen it happen.

I'd strongly recommend using a dimmer inline with the thermostat. Just as an extra fail safe.

Not all of them fail. But from what I have seen, it is close to 50% that DO.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
Mark and Aimee
Sorry steal your sunshine, Matt. But... the failure rate of these thermostats is more of a "when" than an "if".

I do have one that I've used for just about 5 years now... And it is still going strong. I have never run more than 100 watts through it, and that might have something to do with the longer life I have managed to get out of it. The majority of the failures I have seen have been with multiple heating elements hooked up - as in anything near the 1000 watts max rating. I'd keep it below 500, or even lower if you can.

It's hit or miss.... And it's too bad, because the price is great on them!

You can pick up an unwired Ranco from an electrical supply warehouse for less than $50... Search for Ranco ETC-111000 on google, or Johnson A419ABC-1C.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!