How to thaw out Frozen rats? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
AdamR
How to thaw out Frozen rats?

I was just wondering what methods people use to thaw their rats? I've used both heat lamps, hot water, and a combination of the two. I just wonder if there is a faster way that I'm missing? Let me know what you do!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
I use a bucket or other container of hot water to thaw them. Some people do it with the rats in a zip lock bag, but I just dry them a little with paper towels before feeding them off since I use a particulate substrate.

Avoid the microwave. Well, go ahead and use the microwave once, it's interesting.
A toaster oven works well too, but it might incur the displeasure of any females you happen to live with. My wife just shook her head and went back in the living room when she saw me doing it.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Utta
can also use in incubator, let them thaw out naturally, a hair dryer (if its a smaller rat) radiant heater, and a heat pad/flex watt. (about all the comes to mind for me)

Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Pmsayi
I just let them thaw overnight and feed the following day late morning or early afternoon.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
DISCERN
I have used this method for over 20 years.

Just simply buy a small hard plastic drink cooler, like the ones that are for outdoor events, picnics, etc.

Put desired mice/rats in it. Fill it with hot water. Make sure the top is on.

BAM! Done!!

My whole collection ( under 50 ) can have all of their individual food items thawed out in 30 minutes with this method. Smaller amounts, I have it thawed in 15 minutes. When I do thaw small rats, I do allow 30 minutes though.

I then use a pair of tongs, and simply remove rodents from the cooler and place on tray that I take in snake room. If you use substrate, good idea to dry off rodents with paper towels.

Quick, easy, and it works.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
Payara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmsayi View Post
I just let them thaw overnight and feed the following day late morning or early afternoon.
+1

Afterwards I warm up the rat in warm water, dry, and feed. But I have only 1 snake, I could see how this could be impractical if you a have bigger collection.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
redhood23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
I use a bucket or other container of hot water to thaw them. Some people do it with the rats in a zip lock bag, but I just dry them a little with paper towels before feeding them off since I use a particulate substrate.

Avoid the microwave. Well, go ahead and use the microwave once, it's interesting.
A toaster oven works well too, but it might incur the displeasure of any females you happen to live with. My wife just shook her head and went back in the living room when she saw me doing it.
I do the exact same. I have done everything else. Now that it is so hot here in texas, I put em in a ziplock bag before I go to work and leave em in my garage (it gets to like 110 in there) when I get home they are good to go, so I only have to put them in warm water for about 2 min.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
Yaz23
I just throw all the various size feeders in ziplock bags, fill the bags with hot water, switch the water out every 10 minutes (so the water is constantly hot and doesnt get a chance to cool down from the frozen feeders) and I have all my feeders (pups to jumbos) completely thawed out and warm within 30 minutes or so. Before I feed them to the snakes I dry them off a little with papertowels so they aren't dripping wet. I've been doing it for years and works like a charm!

For some reason I never liked the idea of thawing out rats overnight, it makes me think of leaving food out by accident and then throwing it away in the morning when I wake up. Taking the rats out of the freezer and then feeding the snakes 30 minutes later seems like they are 'fresher' than sitting out the whole night or half a day and then getting fed to the snakes. It probably doesnt make a difference to the snakes so maybe I'm just paranoid but I wouldnt eat anything if it was left out overnight or half a day so I use my method.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz23 View Post
For some reason I never liked the idea of thawing out rats overnight, it makes me think of leaving food out by accident and then throwing it away in the morning when I wake up. Taking the rats out of the freezer and then feeding the snakes 30 minutes later seems like they are 'fresher' than sitting out the whole night or half a day and then getting fed to the snakes. It probably doesnt make a difference to the snakes so maybe I'm just paranoid but I wouldnt eat anything if it was left out overnight or half a day so I use my method.
I agree! I personally compare it to placing a rat in an enclosure, it not being eaten and needing to be thrown out in the morning. Why throw it out? Why not refreeze it? I just place them in an insulated container w/lid, all sizes together, they are thawed in about 30-45 minutes (depending on how many larger rats there are). Rabbits, they take a little longer. Those I usually leave out for a few hours THEN place in the water.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
mxracer4life
I never leave rats/mice out overnight, in a cage or just to thaw.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!