Rodents and Threat to Snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
AdamR
Rodents and Threat to Snakes

I have been reading about the threats that rodents pose to snakes because of parasites and other nasties. I have had no problems whatsoever thus far thankfully. I have a few questions about the dangers of housing the rats in the same room as the snakes.
I started breeding rats several months ago and have not brought any new rats into my collection since then. I am able to produce all that I need so I haven't bought any. I keep 2 smaller tubs, which hold moms and babies, in the same room as my snakes. Is this safe?
I spray each new batch of rat bedding with PAM and I have never had any mites on any snakes.
I keep the larger tubs in a separate room that also has collared lizards in a tank. Is this safe?
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
HyderHouseHerps
As long as cages are secure, there should be no threat that they are kept in the same room. Also, you won't necessarily have a problem if your snake gets something, for example pinworms, from a rat. Reptiles and other animals are commonly asymptomatic when infected with intestinal parasites. If you're breeding your own feeders, I highly recommend you routinely deworm your breeders. I routinely deworm all of my animals, reptiles, rodents, dogs, and amphibians.
As far as mites (ectoparasites) are concerned, the types of mites that rodents get are not transferrable to reptiles. The biggest issue I have found keeping rats and snakes in the same room is the temperature. Rats do not like it warm, and snakes don't like it cold or even mild most of the time so I'm constantly trying to find ways to keep my rats comfortable especially when they are carrying a litter of babies.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
phoenix-cry
What do you use to deworm your snake?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
reptilebaby
I'm much more concerned with rat/mouse bites on a snake. It's why I try to avoid feeding live.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
AdamR
I still freeze mine once they get big enough. I definitely don't want any of my snakes to get hurt. Not to mention its easier than keeping a ton of live rats. The tubs are all secure so I haven't ever had any escapees!!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Helenthereef
I hope this isn't off-topic, I'm genuinely curious - don't the snakes react to smelling prey animals all the time if they are kept in the same room? My snakes certainly know when I'm thawing food in their room.....

Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
edf01
i have no choice but to keep about 90% of my rodents in the snake room. My firs fear was the snakes would always be in feed mode. Nope. Never had any issues during the day. Nightime- I wouldnt know the difference since i always feed at night and i never tend to snakes at night. But I have not had any issues- I think there are other things that trigger my snakes into getting into feeding mode- being in a dakr room- then the light comes on for some time... I am sure they see me ( weather they really put 2 and 2 together i have no clue) Also, i have snakes come out from under the newspaper when they hear a tub being opened.

When i am tending to the rats at night- some snakes act like they are getting fed- but the light is on as well, and they may see movement. what they dont get is the opening of a rackmates tub- so not as many come out...

But during the day- i am guessing since its always light and i never fed the snakes ( except for the babies) during the day, they just arent accustumed to it.

As far as geting parasites- i had a few of my snakes get fecals done- they ate f/t mostly, but i know some got live in their lives. Came up negative. I am sure it can hapen- freezing the rat for 48 hours at least has a higher chance of killing off parasites.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
AdamR
I have had no trouble with it. They don't seem to notice that they are there unless I start messing with their tubs. They seem to do the same as Janet's, they only come out to see what's going on if I am messing with their tubs and the light has been on for a while. If I just walk in and peek in one or two tubs they don't pay me any attention. I do try to keep them pretty well fed though, so it may be that they simply aren't hungry enough to go looking for that smell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!