SHIPPING: What you need to know! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
TripleMoonsExotic
Stop! SHIPPING: What you need to know!

I feel I've uploaded these PDF's a half dozen times this week alone, so hopefully the title catches attention so no one has to keep uploading/linking these PDFs (it would also be nice if a Mod would just go ahead and sticky this).

FedEx's Live Animal Shipping Policy
Reference: http://fedex.com/us/services/terms/

FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Live Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:
  1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).
  2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.

FedEx Certification
Reference: Live-Reptile-Pkg-Guidelines.pdf & PKG_Package_Test_Application.pdf

Before you submit a package to acquire your FedEx Certification, carefully review FedEx's Live Harmless Reptile Packaging Guidelines. This process can take 2-4 weeks depending upon the competency of your representative, be patient!

Step One

Step Two
Call FedEx (1.800.463.3339) 24-48 hours after setting up your online account to acquire your representative’s name and contact information. You may need to leave your name and number to receive a return phone call.

Step Three
Contact your representative, explain that you are preparing to submit a FedEx Packaging Test for the shipping of Live Harmless Reptiles. If they attempt to try to tell you that they do not accept reptile shipments, advice them to contact both the Live Animal Desk (1-800-405-9052) and the Legal Department (1-901-434-8494). If they still deny that FedEx does not accept reptile shipments, request a new representative. The reason for notifying your account representative is so they will provide the account number to send the test package on so you do not have to pay for it.

Step Four
Prepare you test package just like you would if you were actually shipping a reptile but do not put a live reptile in the test package. Box the test package inside another box as described in the Packaging Test Application and send it on its way!

Step Five
When you receive your test package back with approval paperwork, contact your representative for the Reptile Shipping Waiver. Sign, date and return to your representative for submission and filing. If you do not hear back within 2 weeks about your test package, call the Package Design and Development Department (1-800-633-7019).

UPS's Live Animal Shipping Policy
Reference: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...d+Live+Animals

Accepted Live Animals
This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.
  • Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
  • Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
  • Fish (All)
  • Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
  • Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
  • Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
  • Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
  • Worms (All)

Prohibited Live Animals
Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:
  • Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
  • Any Threatened or Endangered species
  • Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
  • Birds (All)
  • Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
  • Mammals (All)
  • Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
  • Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

Reptile Shipment Labeling
Reference: 50 CFR 14 10.2008.pdf - specifically 14.82

Option One
(i) Conspicuously marking the outside of each container or package containing fish or wildlife with the word “fish” or “wildlife” as appropriate for its contents, or with the common name of its contents by species, and

(ii) Including an invoice, packing list, bill of lading, or similar document to accompany the shipment which accurately states the name and address of the shipper and consignee, states the total number of packages or containers in the shipment, and for each species in the shipment specifies:
(A) The common name that identifies the species (examples include: Chinook (or king) salmon; bluefin tuna; and whitetail deer) and whether or not the listed species is venomous; and

(B) The number of that species (or other appropriate measure of quantity such as gross or net weight).
The invoice, packing list, bill of lading, or equivalent document must be securely attached to the outside of one container or package in the shipment or otherwise physically accompany the shipment in a manner which makes it readily accessible for inspection
Option Two
Affixing the shipper’s wildlife import/export license number preceded by the three letters “FWS” on the outside of each container or package containing fish or wildlife, if the shipper has valid wildlife import/export license issued under authority of 50 CFR part 14. For each shipment marked in accordance with this paragraph, the records maintained under §14.93(c) must include a copy of the invoice, packing list, bill of lading, or other similar document that accurately states the information required by paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section.
Option Three
In the case of subcontainers or packages within a larger packing container, only the outermost container must be marked in accordance with this section. Except, that for live fish or wildlife that are packed in subcontainers within a larger packing container, if the subcontainers are numbered or labeled, the packing list, invoice, bill or lading, or other similar document, must reflect that number or label. However, each subcontainer containing a venomous species must be clearly marked as venomous.
Option Four
A conveyance (truck, plane, boat, etc.) is not considered a container for purposes of requiring specific marking of the conveyance itself, provided that:
(i) The fish or wildlife within the conveyance is carried loosely or is readily identifiable, and is accompanied by the document required by paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section, or

(ii) The fish or wildlife is otherwise packaged and marked in accordance with this subpart.
Option one will suit most shippers.

If anyone has else they would like to add, knock yourself out!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 50 CFR 14 10.2008.pdf (201.7 KB, 225 views)
File Type: pdf PKG_Package_Test_Application.pdf (301.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: pdf Live-Reptile-Pkg-Guidelines.pdf (30.0 KB, 206 views)

Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Southern Wolf
FedEx has changed their reps up. Before you were assigned a single rep... now you have a team of reps that covers several accounts. I was told that it was supposed to be more effecient and provide better customer service to us.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
jeffwyatt81
FedEx, Please help? Im so confused

I have a couple questions.

1. When I ship my test package, do I need to include a heat or cold pack even though there will be no animal in the package or if it's in a temp range that requires neither?

2. Should/can I punch air holes in the package? In cooler weather I don't make air holes but if it's warmer(80+) I usually add aabout 4 depending on box size.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
If you follow FedEx's Reptile Shipping Guidelines (third PDF linked in the first post) for your test package, you will be fine.

As for air holes, some think they are required for a safe shipment. This is absolutely not true as the package is not air tight. No matter what you do, the sytrofoam and the cardboard “breath” to a certain extent. In my opinion, punching holes into the styrofoam compromises the integrity of the insulation. Specifically in extreme cold or hot weather, damaging the insulation hinders any effort to maintain a safe temperature inside the box. If it makes you more comfortable, I would recommend punching holes in the cardboard, but not the insulation.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
WingedWolf
I generally only punch holes through when shipping without heat or cold packs, when all temps are expected to be moderate. My theory is, if the box overheats at any point, the air flow will allow it to cool down faster.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
jenkznza
Do you have to test every one of your box sizes or is one sufficient? I use 5 different boxes depending on the orders size.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Good question! Just one will suffice! They want to ensure you're correctly packaging your animals per their requirements, so different box sizes don't matter.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
jenkznza
Good to know. We'll be shipping snakes next year so I'm getting certified now. Seems pretty easy.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
WingedWolf
This is round 2 for me, I gave up the first time around when they kept losing my paperwork and never sent me the waiver after everything was approved.
I got my box approved (again), and now I'm waiting for the paperwork... Of course my rep told me it was supposed to be here Monday... >_>

Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
hhmoore
Have them email it to you...it's a lot quicker.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
fedex, shipping, ups