SHIPPING: What you need to know! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #31
Elizabeth Minton
Prohibited Live Animals
Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous

WAIT IM CONFUSED
it says all snakes are prohibited from being shipped. venomous and non-venomous yet fedex ships snakes. im so confused

Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #32
Elizabeth Minton
i also wanted to state that i picked an orange ghost up from a fedex hub near my town and the guy who was handling my package was spinning it around between his hands when he brought it out to me, i had to notify him that it contained a live animal before he would stop. apparently he didnt realize it was alive even though it was packed as fragile handle with care

Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #33
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Minton View Post
WAIT IM CONFUSED
it says all snakes are prohibited from being shipped. venomous and non-venomous yet fedex ships snakes. im so confused
Read the post. What does the heading of that section say?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #34
Shadera
I guess the whole idea of the getting checked out to obtain a shipping waiver to ship live harmless reptiles is lost on some people.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #35
heebie.jeebies
Question

I have a question and please bear with me because I am brand-spanking new at this.

I just started breeding and just had my first clutch hatch last week. According to what I read here, I'd have to wait 2 - 4 weeks before I could even ship them. But that's if I have a registered business - which I don't. I was advised by my accountant I had until December-ish to worry about registering a business.

I have purchased snakes before through here and have mostly received packages from private parties, not businesses, and don't understand what they're doing so that they're under the radar, so to speak. They also ship to me - a residence - and I haven't had any issues.

I have HEARD that people ship Fedex or UPS through Staples - and what I heard about it was that people go in right before the last pickup of the night, drop the animal off and the Staples employees usually ship it. I have also heard that this happens all the time, but don't know for sure.

Any advice anyone can give me on shipping relatively soon, or is my only course of action to register a business name and then register a Fedex shipping account? This could take months..... :[

Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #36
TripleMoonsExotic
FedEx requires no proof of business legality. You are not required to have or register a business name. If your property is zoned residential and you are running a home business out of it, it is still considered residential and you would be violating your agreement with FedEx if you shipped to or from that location. The work around is to ship hub to hub or some other sort of business location (Staples for example, as you had mentioned).

Sure, people violate FedEx or UPS policy every day. But are you willing to put your animals at risk (delayed shipments, confiscated shipments)? Are you willing to let your potential customers know that you are willing to break another companies written policy?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #37
sagespyder@yahoo.com
The only problem I have with UPS is that they always deliver to my area, Kingsland GA around 5pm when the weather is extremely hot. My delivery guy has always been the same one and has always treated the packages I recieve gently whatever they may hold. FedEx has always had earlier deliveries which are good for some. Being that I am a housewife starting this from the ground up I prefer that. Though with the chance I will be shipping my first reptile to someone else, I had before shipped through FedEx to my self from CA to MN and didn't list what was in the package since it contained a stiped albino kingsnake, pacman frog, and a hypo milksnake. Everything went fine since I boarded the plane that day. I am not certified through anyone as of yet and I realize that I will have to be certified for next year when I will have more than one clutch of beardies. I know that the shop I worked for in San Diego ships through FedEx. I never thought to ask him about shipping, only that i was to pack them for shipping while another person took it to be shipped.

Besides supplies, does certification cost anything?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #38
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagespyder@yahoo.com View Post
Though with the chance I will be shipping my first reptile to someone else, I had before shipped through FedEx to my self from CA to MN and didn't list what was in the package since it contained a stiped albino kingsnake, pacman frog, and a hypo milksnake. Everything went fine since I boarded the plane that day. I am not certified through anyone as of yet and I realize that I will have to be certified for next year when I will have more than one clutch of beardies. I know that the shop I worked for in San Diego ships through FedEx. I never thought to ask him about shipping, only that i was to pack them for shipping while another person took it to be shipped.
Congratulations, not only did you violate FedEx shipping policy, but you violated Federal Law.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #39
sagespyder@yahoo.com
LOL, I know.. What can I say, besides ignorance is no excuse, for what i did. At that time I didn't know about having to be certified or anything, but now i am going to get everything going so that I won't have to worry about that in the future.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #40
sagespyder@yahoo.com
Well, i filled out the app, i got my e-mail that it went through, I couldn't get anyone to have my rep call me, but after talking to the lady that works for the reptile dept she said to just go ahead and send the box in to be tested. I am going to call again tomorrow to see if i can get teh rep to call me so i can get that number so i won't have to pay to have it shipped to the testing area.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
fedex, shipping, ups