SHIPPING: What you need to know! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #51
4riscorn
okay, thanks..I will have to check out stuff where we are now to see if there is anything closer than the FedEx hub in case I need something sent to me. I know someone once told me they had to check to see if FedEx would deliver live animals to my location and they got the approval, but that was at my old house and there was a lot of businesses located around it so it may have been zoned differently. We are all rural out here so no chance in that here!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:31 AM   #52
AltitudeExotics
I work for UPS, (loading trucks) and i actually found 4 huge boxes of snakes going to ProExotics from the breeders expo while i was working. I brought it up to my boss as I am required to do, and he told me UPS will accept non-venomous snkes now....

Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #53
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riscorn View Post
I would hate to have to go to our local FedEx hub station. I used to live just a few miles away but now that I have moved, it is at least 25 miles to mine. Can they ship to FedEx centers like Office Depot and places like that or does it have to be the actual FedEx building?
And thanks for the offer Stephanie. If I don't hear anything in a couple days, I will PM you with my info.
I have shipped to a FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) location without a problem; but, honestly, I'm never comfortable doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltitudeExotics View Post
I work for UPS, (loading trucks) and i actually found 4 huge boxes of snakes going to ProExotics from the breeders expo while i was working. I brought it up to my boss as I am required to do, and he told me UPS will accept non-venomous snkes now....
That would be great, if it was true for the masses. Unfortunately, the simple fact is that it isn't. UPS has long turned a blind eye to some accounts using their services, while refusing others (unless they've got a lot more waivers out there than are admitted to).

Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #54
chamgirl99471
It's very true Harald but it seems that UPS is getting the message. I'm sure there are still some that are skeptical about accepting the packages but from what I've seen.. they are getting better about it. My UPS Hub knows me now.. LOL.. and when I bring a box into them... they set it inside and not in the warehouse because they are aware of what it is that I am shipping. Ever since the first incident I had shipping with RE... I haven't had any problems or calls about my packages. All have gone through the HUB without a hitch

As long as people are aware and actually print out the waiver when using their services.. if the HUB has an issue with it... all you have to do is call Debbie at RE and she can get the issue resolved. They've been good to me so far and I'm hoping that this service will continue the way it's going.

I do have the backup plan of FedEx if anything does fall through with RE or they strip the waiver away again so it's a little less stressful in my situation now

Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #55
hhmoore
That's what this thread was missing, another RE commercial

Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #56
ForkedTung
Steph, If this is true and works according to the law and w/ respect to the Lacey Act, I'd be more than happy to just list "wildlife" and include an invoice of common/scientific...

One thing I found in the Lacey Act says this:
Quote:
(d) False labeling offenses
It is unlawful for any person to make or submit any false record, account, or label for, or any false identification of, any fish, wildlife, or plant which has been, or is intended to be—
(1) imported, exported, transported, sold, purchased, or received from any foreign country; or
(2) transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
It's vague, but I guess at the very least labeling it "live harmless reptile" would be disingenuous and may fall under a "false account" as anything that can bite can cause harm.

and then there's this:
Quote:
It can be be UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL, Delta, US Air, etc. The Lacey Act clearly states that any reptile shipment crossing state lines must be labeled with the exact contents: Common & scientific name of each herp, as well as the quantity of each. As per the Lacey Act, this has to be clearly marked on the outside of the box, and not simply listed on a packing list inside the box. Still using the Ball Python as an example, if I ship it to you and the box is simply labeled as "Live Harmless Reptiles", I have violated the Lacey Act and "YOU" will violate the Lacey Act if you accept the shipment. If does not matter at all if the shipping company states that it is OK with them if your shipment is simply labeled as "Live Harmless Reptiles". No shipping company policy can override the "Federal" Lacey Act when it comes to labeling shipments!!!
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...p/t-53097.html

It would be great if we could get this resolved.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #57
ForkedTung
In this thread here

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ighlight=lacey

It does mention shipping according to "existing practices" so I guess that would mean the FWC code would then be applicable, meaning labeling a snake with "wildlife" would be sufficient, and including an accurate ledger with scientific/common?
This could really save some headaches for everybody

Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #58
FireStorm
These two sections come from the Lacey Act:
Quote:
(b)
Marking offenses
It is unlawful for any person to import, export, or transport in interstate commerce any container or package containing any fish or wildlife unless the container or package has previously been plainly marked, labeled, or tagged in accordance with the regulations issued pursuant to paragraph (2) of section 3376(a) of this title.

(2)
The Secretaries of the Interior and Commerce shall jointly promulgate specific regulations to implement the provisions of section 3372 (b) of this title for the marking and labeling of containers or packages containing fish or wildlife. These regulations shall be in accordance with existing commercial practices.
Perhaps that second section is what allows Fish and Wildlife to regulate labeling? It still seems like since the first part says the box must be "plainly marked" the label would need to be visible on the outside of the box

Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #59
ForkedTung
Good catch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
These two sections come from the Lacey Act:

Perhaps that second section is what allows Fish and Wildlife to regulate labeling? It still seems like since the first part says the box must be "plainly marked" the label would need to be visible on the outside of the box
This part is I guess what would relate to the FWC code:
These regulations shall be in accordance with existing commercial practices.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #60
FireStorm
I guess a label that said "Wildlife" with the quantity and species and quantites listed would comply with the Lacey Act and Fish and Wildlife regs... I don't think that could be considered false or misleading.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
fedex, shipping, ups