shipping price - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Beardiefreak26
shipping price

When you ship reptiles should you charge for shipping materials?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
some people do a box charge (I see this a lot more with feeders) but most people build the price of shipping materials into the price being asked for the animal.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiefreak26 View Post
When you ship reptiles should you charge for shipping materials?
For me, it depends. If I am shipping out a $50 snake, I might, but $500 probably not. I like to reuse boxes if I can, but I usually just take it out of my pocket if I have to. From a business stand point, this would be something I would have to factor in, but I am just a "hobbiest" with a day job.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Beardiefreak26
ok thank you april

Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Beardiefreak26
its a $200 beardie

Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiefreak26 View Post
its a $200 beardie
It depends on how much you are making. If you are close to a loss (or at), I would ask for shipping material fees.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Beardiefreak26
said reptile was bought for 90 when she was 5 1/2 inches long and is now 15 inches long so what would you do

Old 05-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
hhmoore
Better to factor it into the pricing - whether it be on the shipping end, or the price you put on the animal. If I'm buying something from Average Joe Reptiles, and they inform me that there is going to be a box or handling fee, I am more inclined to say Thanks, but no thanks. I sort of look at it the same way as I view somebody saying I have to add the 3% for a PayPal purchase...the difference being that I can't turn the box charge person in for violating a TOS, lol.
I don't use the pre-made kits...there are several reasons, but one of them is that they are expensive. Once somebody is doing enough shipping, the convenience factor weighs in more heavily, and it makes more sense.
I, personally, don't like reusing boxes; first impressions mean a lot, and layers of tape, or ripped paper (from removing the old tape) just don't do it for me. I'm not so anal that I complain about receiving that type of box; but, in my mind, it says something (its hard to define just what that something is - I've given it a few minutes, and failed). I guess, to an extent, it sort of depends on the situation. I HAD to reuse a box when I shipped my adult dumerils - it was a large box from Mice Direct, with the styro cooler inside. The dimensions were such that I couldn't easily come up with an exact replacement, and I was set on using the cooler (3 adult boas, with a combined weight of nearly 60 lbs, requires a sturdy box)... I'd selected that box because it arrived in perfect condition, and I'd used extreme care in opening it. I didn't like doing it, though.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Beardiefreak26
ok thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bearded dragons, shipping