What is your profession? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
FosterHerpetological
What is your profession?

I am mainly asking this as a college student, making sure I am choosing the right career. Just curious as to what everyone else does, and if they made the right choices? Why or why didnt you? Pay? Long hours?

Im currently in Nursing. Haven't decided to get my BDN or ADN yet. There were two main reasons I chose nursing-You can work where ever you go. If I want to move, the local hospital will almost immediately hire me. And also, because of the pay and the fact that I like medicine and helping others.

If anyone is a Nurse, give me the pros and cons. I can take to gore very well, so that is not a problem.

But I was really just wondering what everyone else does. I am trying to make sure I choose the right career.

Any input is appreciated.

Stephen

Old 12-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
hhmoore
There is a big push toward advanced degrees in nursing, so the BSN is a better choice if you have time and tolerance. That isn't to say you won't find work with an ASN, but you will be limited in the future (think: advancement & career opportunities).

For the record, no, I am not a nurse.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
There is a big push toward advanced degrees in nursing, so the BSN is a better choice if you have time and tolerance. That isn't to say you won't find work with an ASN, but you will be limited in the future (think: advancement & career opportunities).

For the record, no, I am not a nurse.
Yea, I have been thinking about that tons lately.

May I ask, what do you do HH?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
rcarichter
I worked as an actuary (mathematician) for 12 years. Bad choice, regretted every second. In college, math came easily and I got swept along by counselors into a math/biology degree. You really can't do much with a 4-yr bio degree, so...math it was.
I walked away 15 years ago and started my pet sitting business. Much happier. Only a tiny fraction of the money, but I'd rather deal with animal s*** than people s*** any day.
My sister is an RN. She worked ER and critical care for many years, and is now a high school nurse at a rather 'difficult' school. She deals with gang-violence, teen pregnancy, drug abuse, all the good stuff. She loves every moment of her job.

Noelle

Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
school nurse
After some years as a psychiatric nurse, and also a few years with being a jail nurse, I was an elementary school nurse in several inner city schools. Many of the families were very poor.
I used to write checks for prescriptions once in a while when the moms had made it in to see the doctor but could not afford meds for their sick kids. For now, programs like Medicaid help with those expenses, I hope those programs are not completely cut back.
I love little kids and families and I loved nursing. I did not like some of the politics and cover ups that seem to be more and more common in schools with their increasing emphasis on standardized testing and job security depending on test scores. It does, and it did, lead to corruption and environments not conducive to holistic learning.

I think what Noelle did was awesome. At some point when the thrill is gone, having the courage to look further and give up some things to have the career you want is an awesome step. And I tend to think that people who are enthusiastic and happy in their work contribute more.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
rcarichter
Lucille, I'm often worried for my sister's safety. She tells me how much she cares for these kids, and in return they have truly bonded with her. You must have experienced the same bond with those in your care. You have my utmost admiration. They really have no way out of their situation, and it breaks her heart. One of her more common situations is talking to kids whose family members have been shot/stabbed by other family members. I can't even begin to understand how hard it is. She gets tough when she has to, but mostly she hands out love and understanding.

Noelle

Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Shadera
Former trucker. Loved the work, it was just time to move on to another phase of life. While I was young and wanted no responsibility, it was perfect. Good pay, great travel benefits. It can be long hours, and depending on what I was hauling there were times when it seemed like I was always filthy, but I did enjoy it.

Now I just hold the couch down.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
Skanakis
Medical field...Great choice. I work in a behavioral unit. hehehehe....i see the interesting things. Hense as to why im on the computer AAAALLLLL night on the Fauna page from 11-7am. I wouldnt change this career for anything. I am be only a tech but i plan to go to school in a little while. And your right. You can go anywhere in the country and even out of country with a nursing degree. I JUST moved to florida from NYC. But i also got 17 years with mentally ill and addicts. Anything in the health field.....great.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
keithy
I am finishing up my BSN. I don't really like it. Some of it is the people that I have to deal with, some of it is the profession. I am kind of a health nut, and in the case of nursing, it doesn't work well. Basically, I learned that we are trying to cover up the repercussions for the poor health decisions that we make. So, I never want to work in a hospital again. I am a tech and I hate seeing people eating greasy and unhealthy food, followed by their beta blocker for their blood pressure. I may work as a school nurse to promote wellness. But once I finish paying my loans for school, I want to start an organic farm homestead thing.

Back to your question:
Pros of nursing-pay?, if you feel like you are helping people (I don't feel that at all by continuously encouraging poor habits and some nurses partaking in these poor habits as well), possibly finding a wife, learn about the corruption in the political side of health care
cons: a lot of the people I don't like/get along with, a lot of nurses are in it for the $, not actually helping people?, stress, legal liability of all sorts, working with nearly all women, long hours? (I am a workaholic so I don't mind this)

Now, I do enjoy the psych/behavioral unit. I feel like I am helping people there.

I think in this country, one of the large problems is "making" people go to college to simply get a degree and make lots of $ but possibly be miserable. Do something you love to do, even if you don't need a degree for it. Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
I am finishing up my BSN. I don't really like it. Some of it is the people that I have to deal with, some of it is the profession. I am kind of a health nut, and in the case of nursing, it doesn't work well. Basically, I learned that we are trying to cover up the repercussions for the poor health decisions that we make. So, I never want to work in a hospital again. I am a tech and I hate seeing people eating greasy and unhealthy food, followed by their beta blocker for their blood pressure. I may work as a school nurse to promote wellness. But once I finish paying my loans for school, I want to start an organic farm homestead thing.

Back to your question:
Pros of nursing-pay?, if you feel like you are helping people (I don't feel that at all by continuously encouraging poor habits and some nurses partaking in these poor habits as well), possibly finding a wife, learn about the corruption in the political side of health care
cons: a lot of the people I don't like/get along with, a lot of nurses are in it for the $, not actually helping people?, stress, legal liability of all sorts, working with nearly all women, long hours? (I am a workaholic so I don't mind this)

Now, I do enjoy the psych/behavioral unit. I feel like I am helping people there.

I think in this country, one of the large problems is "making" people go to college to simply get a degree and make lots of $ but possibly be miserable. Do something you love to do, even if you don't need a degree for it. Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions.
Wow, thanks for all the information! That is one thing I have been most worried about is the legal liabilities. Personally, I think I would like the hours. In the two main hospitals here in the city you have a choice, 4 10hr shifts a week or 3 12hr shifts a week. I guess time will tell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!