Iguana Euthanasia Gasparilla Island in Florida: Today Show - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-27-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
D's Girl
Angry Iguana Euthanasia Gasparilla Island in Florida: Today Show

The Today Show aired a segment on the county-mandated extermination
(capture and freezing) of black spiny-tail iguanas (Ctenosaura similis) on
Gasparilla Island in Florida. Iguana Busters is a private company which is
live-trapping the iguanas and has them available for adoption / rescue / sale
right now as an alternative to euthanasia by freezing. Every iguana adopted will
not be killed as long as they can be adopted out on the day of capture. New
individuals are arriving daily. Anybody can apply – we are especially looking
for pet wholesalers and exporters as well as private individuals. There are
hundreds available for the cost of shipping. FWC and USFWS have been notified
and are fully cooperating. Shipping methods have been established. Theses are
healthy very high-quality Ctenosaura similis of all sizes and ages. Please
contact Iguana Busters at their website www.iguanabusters.com.

Every iguana that can be adopted / sold will not have to be killed by the end of
the day. Please help!

SITUATION REPORT / ACTIVISM REQUESTED:

A lot of you were appalled by the iguanas being stuffed into freezers on the
Today Show. Here is a critical update on the issue:

There are approximately 10,000 Black spiny-tailed iguanas Ctenosaura similis on
Gasparilla island. They are invasive there and the residents want them gone or
at least their numbers dramatically reduced. Like any invasive species they
cause damage to native species, with probably the biggest issue being sea
turtles. When the ordinance change exempting iguanas from protection came into
effect, island residents started a free-for-all iguana killing spree with
horrible consequences. Iguana Busters is a company attempting to help by
removing iguanas professionally. Iguana Busters does not want to kill the
iguanas if there is another option. They are willing to create holding
facilities for adoption, and ship iguanas to new owners. What we need are people
willing to organize an adoption campaign and reptile keepers willing to adopt.
Most importantly we need anyone interested in relocating those animals back into
their native range. THE KEY PROBLEM IS THAT LEE COUNTY IS ACCEPTING BIDS FOR A
CONTRACT TO KILL ALL IGUANAS ON THE ISLAND. THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY LIVE
SOLUTIONS AND ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT CRUELTY. Iguana Busters was considering
bidding on the county contract but they are not interested in the whole-scale
killing of the iguanas. Iguana Busters does NOT need your comments on humane
euthanasia. In order to save the iguanas of Gasparilla island you need to
protest to Elizabeth Walker at walkerl@... who is the public resources
manager in charge of the iguana issue and who believes that killing them by any
means is the only right thing to do. Copy your protests to Scott Trebatoski at
strebatoski@... who is the Director of Animal Services in Lee County and
very receptive to a humane solution, the Lee County government at
questions@..., and Bonnie McGee from the iguana committee on Gasparilla
island at bocabee1@.... Send information on inhumane euthanasia as well
as your opinion on relocation. I offered the pet trade, adoption, and relocation
into their native range as options, but Elizabeth Walker was only interested in
killing them. The company which wins the contract will be FORBIDDEN to allow any
iguana off the island alive! It will be up to you to change her mind. They will
be meeting on the extermination contract on Tuesday October 31. PLEASE make all
your concerns known to them as quickly as possible. HERE IS YOUR ONE AND ONLY
CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE BY MAILING!! PLEASE HELP!

As far as Iguana Busters is concerned, they will adopt out! Inform yourself on
this species and e-mail me at susanne@... with any help you can give.
If YOU can find a place for those iguanas to go, they will not die. If YOU adopt
one, it will live.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?.../12065856/&fg=

If you are interested in helping please email me for the addresses refered to above... I have the original email that was sent to me with the html links that I can't provide through a copy and paste.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Mokele
Have you ever been to Guam?

It's a lovely island in the Pacific, just a 4-hour plane ride from Tokyo, and a major tourist destination.

I recommend you go there and listen to the bird calls in the tropical brush. Do you know what you'll hear?

Silence.

In the 1950's, Boiga irregularis, the Brown Tree Snake, arrived on the island, probably by stowing away in cargo. By the 1970's, the entire bird population was declining. By the 80's, the bird populations were in free-fall, and the BTS was finally fingered at the culprit.

In 30 years of effort, with millions of dollars spent on every option from traps to poison to pheremone baits to snake-sniffing dogs in airports, *nothing* has even dented their populations. Most of the native birds are extinct, extirpated, or seriously endanged. I spent 3 weeks there, doing fieldwork on the Brown Tree Snake, and I saw no more than half a dozen non-marine native birds in the entire time. The forests were eerily silent.

*That* is what an invasive species can do. If we have a chance to prevent a species from becoming established, we are obligated to do so, by any means necessary. Traps, poison, hunting, *anything*.

While I know your heart is in the right place, think of the ecological havoc this species could potentially wreak. Are you really prepared to tell your children that Burrowing Owls are extinct now because we wouldn't use lethal methods to prevent the spread of the species that ate their eggs? We have *no* way to predict the effects this species will have on the ecosystem, especially if it makes it to the mainland.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, to harm a part to save the whole. It's too late for Guam, don't let your feelings get in the way of stopping another invasive species.

Henry

Old 10-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
D's Girl
Sorry, but I disagree

For starters Guam is half way around the world. Guam's problem involved omnivores. The issue I have engaged people on is not regarding the survival of the fittest... but rather the extermination of the defenseless.
Okay, even if I accept your argument, there is no reason for Florida's politicians to order the iguanas not to leave the island alive (THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY LIVE SOLUTIONS AND ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT CRUELTY). That's barbaric. I'm more concerned with adoption as an OPTION! There are people there like Iguana Busters who are willing to create holding facilities until adoption is possible. I'm not over imaginative... I know that there isn't a chance that all of the iguanas could possibly be adopted, but there is no reason to brutally kill them all. Be serious.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Mokele
Quote:
For starters Guam is half way around the world.
And the basic rules of ecology are somehow different?

Quote:
Guam's problem involved omnivores.
Um, all snakes are exclusive carnivores.

Quote:
The issue I have engaged people on is not regarding the survival of the fittest... but rather the extermination of the defenseless.
And what of the defenseless species that this invasive will eliminate? Why should this species be treated with kids gloves, in spite of potential danger to the ecosystem as a whole?

Yes, it sucks to have to kill animals that are just doing what they do in the wrong place, but the potential effects of *not* doing it are far worse.

Quote:
there is no reason for Florida's politicians to order the iguanas not to leave the island alive
Yes, there is, and a damn good one: a live iguana can escape and establish a population on the mainland. A dead one cannot. When large numbers are being shipped, there's *always* the chance of escapes. That's where Spectacled Caimans in Florida came from: animals that escaped during shipping.

Quote:
(THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY LIVE SOLUTIONS AND ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT CRUELTY). That's barbaric.
It's harsh, but necessary. What are the humane ways of killing a reptile, hm? The *only* ones I know of are intra-cardiac injection of sodium pentabarbital and overdose with vaporous halothane. Neither of these chemicals are cheap, nor are vets who can use them safely and correctly.

It's *VITAL* to reduce the population as fast as possible, because once they're established, it will be practically impossible to get rid of the damn things without paving over the island.

Yes, it sucks, but the alternative is allowing ourselves to be handicapped to the point where elimination becomes impossible, resulting in yet another invasive species to wreck the ecosystem.

Quote:
I'm more concerned with adoption as an OPTION! There are people there like Iguana Busters who are willing to create holding facilities until adoption is possible. I'm not over imaginative... I know that there isn't a chance that all of the iguanas could possibly be adopted, but there is no reason to brutally kill them all. Be serious.
Holding facilities can have escapes, and therefore aren't worth the risk.

I *am* being serious. I've seen first-hand what an invasive can do, seen the efforts to get rid of it, and how futile it's become. You cannot let mere feelings get in the way, or you'll sacrifice the greater good for the sake of a few lizards.

What of the question I posed? Are you willing to tell people that we let one or more species go *extinct* because we refused to contain and exterminate this invader? *Extinct*, gone, no more, all because you don't want to do what's necessary. Is that an acceptable ethical balance?

To me, it isn't. The survival of entire species and the integrity of an ecosystem *FAR* outweighs the concerns over the manner of exterminating a few thousand invasive species.

This isn't about individual animals, this is about the whole ecosystem.

Henry

Old 10-31-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
varnyard
I would like to help with this. I did keep this species for a long time, I would also take some more if this would help. Just let me know.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele

To me, it isn't. The survival of entire species and the integrity of an ecosystem *FAR* outweighs the concerns over the manner of exterminating a few thousand invasive species.

This isn't about individual animals, this is about the whole ecosystem.

Henry

So lets just kill off 500 iguanas and its perfectly OKAY. But we humans are destroying our own ecosystem, and thats perfectly fine? Why not kill off a few thousand humans while were at it eh? Go drive your SUV around the block because its fun then! go on. GO.

We are no gods, and it it not up to us to decide who lives and dies. It is up to us to restore these animals to their natural habitats and adopt them out to whomever is willing to take these animals.

You are very wrong to agree with the killing of all of these animals. regardless of what is happening to the ecosystem they have been introduced to because of US.
Some animal lover....

As human beings and of a higher brain function, we must rectify our mistake and make it right, the correct way not the merciless killing of these creatures.

Quote:
resulting in yet another invasive species to wreck the ecosystem.
You must be referring to us humans then.... right? were destroying this planet ... but its alright that we kill off somone else whos invading on our turf? I mean, hell. its our job.. why should anyone else get to do it too!????

Old 10-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
I would like to help with this. I did keep this species for a long time, I would also take some more if this would help. Just let me know.
i agree, if i can find anyone thats looking to take in a few animals im more than happy to get them in contact with this group as well...

Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
Mokele
Quote:
So lets just kill off 500 iguanas and its perfectly OKAY. But we humans are destroying our own ecosystem, and thats perfectly fine? Why not kill off a few thousand humans while were at it eh? Go drive your SUV around the block because its fun then! go on. GO.
It's better than letting them wreak havoc on the ecosystem. Sometimes there *is* no perfect, happy way out of a situation. Sometimes it's choosing between bad and worse. Regretably, that's often the case with invasives.

Yes, humans cause problems too. This is one of them. It's up to us to fix it. Since we obviously aren't fixing most of our other screw-ups, we can at least give this one a shot.

Quote:
We are no gods, and it it not up to us to decide who lives and dies. It is up to us to restore these animals to their natural habitats and adopt them out to whomever is willing to take these animals.

You are very wrong to agree with the killing of all of these animals. regardless of what is happening to the ecosystem they have been introduced to because of US.
Some animal lover....

As human beings and of a higher brain function, we must rectify our mistake and make it right, the correct way not the merciless killing of these creatures.
Ok, so you want to find homes for 10,000 wild lizards which, due to being adult size, will require very skilled herpers to take and work with. Not to mention all the difficulties of feeding these things properly.

We can't find homes for adoptable tame green igs, and you think 10,000 homes will magically appear for these things?

Oh, and by the way, you've got a time crunch. You can't take 10 years, or even 5; they breed too fast. 2 years, tops.

Oh, and you can't miss *any* of them. Even a handful of tiny babies that you miss will become a new population in time, undoing all of your work.

Oh, and they have to housed and transported in means which are 100% escape proof. The escape of a even a few animals onto mainland florida could establish the species.

So, that's your job. Now, here's the kick: the government has given you a pathetic amount of money and next to no personel. You can't run over budget, volunteers will be sporadic and a minor help, and if you fail, it could wreak untold havoc.

I suppose you think Hawaii should treat every Brown Tree Snake they find in airplane cargo humanely, and keep in a nice cushy cage for all its years, in spite of the fact that if enough get lose, *dozens* of species will be extinct.

Do you know what extinct mean?

Yes, it sucks, but there is no other realistic alternative. Either we eradicate this population by lethal means, or we stand here waiting for Tinkerbell to solve the problem while this new species causes who-knows-what havoc in the ecosystem.

It's not nice, and it's not pretty. But the alternative is far, far worse, and there are no realistic ways to deal with it.

Quote:
You must be referring to us humans then.... right? were destroying this planet ... but its alright that we kill off somone else whos invading on our turf? I mean, hell. its our job.. why should anyone else get to do it too!????
The issue is not that they're in the way of developers, it's that they should not be there *at all*. Invasive species have the potential to seriously disrupt the native ecosystem, to the point of extirpating or exterminating species. Look at the Zebra Mussel or the Brown Tree Snake.

So, since you seen to be dead set on opposing this, let's hear your alternative:
How do you plan to catch *ALL* of these lizards, without missing any?
How do you plan to transport and hold them without *any* escapes?
How do you plan to find homes for 10,000 3-foot untamed lizards?
How many people are you going to need?
And last, but not least,
How exactly are you going to pay for it?

Yes, I know, putting a price on life, blah blah blah. But be realistic a second: the funding is limited, and poor. No matter how wrong or evil that is, it won't change, not in the few years we have before the species gets a foothold.

So what's your alternative?

Henry

Old 11-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Don't know if I'd go that far (well, maybe I would... )...However I think that at the least their should be a permit required to reproduce & a limit of how many children each person can have have. Why? Because humans are "wrecking havoc on the ecosystem" and are an "invasive species."

Kudos to Gyna for posting this. I noticed there website was down, does anyone have any contact information for this? I'd like to see if I can help in any way. I am willing to DONATE supplies to participating parties.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #10
varnyard
Well, I will give you a animal that is much worse than any of these reptiles. What about the common house cat? They kill and distroy more fauna than all of the reptiles combined. I do not hear anyone yelling, lets kill all of the cats. So IMO, I think this is just about as bright as swimming in ice.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!