$400 I Did Not Want To Spend - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
Junkyard
$400 I Did Not Want To Spend

But I had too, the old A/C pooped out and was just blowing in the outside air. I lost two snakes because of the drastic temperature change. Just Saturday the weather was averaging out at about 88-90 degrees outside, then Sunday it was 105 in the shade. Even worse, this is not the right size A/C we need, I bought it knowing it was a bit under size. The problem is I have a hole in the wall for the unit to be placed, the hole is only so big.

Unfortunately living in a condominium I have to be approved by the Home Owners Association to cut out a bigger hole in the wall AND it needs to be done by a general contractor. I own the inside drywall, the outside belongs to the HOA. So if I want an appropriate size A/C I need to spend extra money just to have a hole cut out. A $400 A/C would end up costing a lot more adding the work that I would have to pay a contractor to do. Sure I could have done it without telling anyone, but then I would get fined up the wazoo because we have nosey neighbors that like to complain about every little detail to the HOA because they think they are an authority figure around here.

So I use a few extra fans, but in a short period of time the room temperature dropped. This is the first day this whole weekend I have seen my temperature at 91 degrees with the A/C on high and it is still dropping. That old A/C was so terrible, what a hot weekend it was in my home.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
varnyard
I can feel for you on that one. When it is hot here, it is blazing. I could not live without a good AC. I like the cold better. At least I can put enough cloths on to be warm.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
The Reptile House
Not sure what size room you are trying to cool but we just did the same thing! Our snake room is about 14x14 and we got the unit from Lowe's when it went on sale last week for $79(usually $89) and we have to turn it off after a short bit. We have it set at 73 and it gets there quick! Just thought I would pass along our info on our space and ac unit that takes care of it. We are just up the way in Tustin and the heat has been dreadfull. Take care, Shanell.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
Ginger Ambrose
Sorry to hear about the loss of the snakes.
Glad you got it taken care of for now.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
I hear ya brother!!! Amy's car just had a sensor go out on the traction control system, her warranty expired 500 miles ago. Then on top of that if her car was a Ford it would only cost $75 for the sensor, but since it is a Chevy the sensor is built in to the front hub so it will cost $350 just for the part.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #6
Junkyard
The A/C unit is a 12,000 BTU and we are using for a 600 square foot space, the A/C is only good for a 500 sq foot room. I found portable A/Cs on wheels, so I am going to invest in one of those tomorrow, that way I can run two A/Cs on the lowest setting and it will cost just a fraction, if not even out, as much as one A/C set on high.

I know those car troubles, I have a Subaru, you want to know what stinks about those cars? They are from a European country so it costs triple the price on repairs compared to Japanese cars. To replace my clutch, I am looking at the $700 price vicinity because, add that to being in a condominium I am not allowed to work on my car in MY parking space so I cannot just buy a clutch and fix it myself.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
The A/C unit is a 12,000 BTU and we are using for a 600 square foot space, the A/C is only good for a 500 sq foot room. I found portable A/Cs on wheels, so I am going to invest in one of those tomorrow, that way I can run two A/Cs on the lowest setting and it will cost just a fraction, if not even out, as much as one A/C set on high.

I know those car troubles, I have a Subaru, you want to know what stinks about those cars? They are from a European country so it costs triple the price on repairs compared to Japanese cars. To replace my clutch, I am looking at the $700 price vicinity because, add that to being in a condominium I am not allowed to work on my car in MY parking space so I cannot just buy a clutch and fix it myself.
Sounds like it may be time to invest in moving!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
Junkyard
I am working on that one too.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Dragons
Sounds like it may be time to invest in moving!!!
Exactly what I thought when I read the first post.
I admit I don't know how an HOA works, nor have I had experience with one. We don't have those here. Where I'm from you wouldn't dare think you could tell another man what he could or couldn't do on his own property. Doing so would in the very least get you a serious cussing and quite likely shown off the property at gun point. People here don't tolerate anything resembling that.
The mere thought of some pompous group of "board members" telling me whether I could plant a bush or not infuriates me to no end. I don't understand from where they get their apparent authority, but my belief is my property is mine to do with as I wish and nobody has any say in it to any degree whatsoever.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 AM   #10
Junkyard
Don't think those feelings are not there, being in California people in the past gave up quite a bit of freedom that now causes problems for us today. Heck, San Fransisco does not allow the keeping of guns in the city(as in registered guns that are locked away in a 1,000lbs safe are not allowed). Police can carry them all they want.

Also California has a real big issue with having to be a part of your personal privacy, if they think your front grass is too tall some cities will fine you for it. My father once parked my car on HIS grass and some police officer had the time in the middle of the night to slap a ticket on my car instead of bothering with the gangs that were just down the street. Gangs are a problem where he lives too, but a car on the front lawn is worthy of a ticket.

If you have a vehicle in your driveway and you are working on it, you need to have a fence so no one can look in and see you working. My father was sent a letter by the city to hide his garage and his custom cars or else he will be fined a few thousand dollars until he had the fence built. You cannot have a RV parked in your driveway, it needs to be hidden, unless you happen to be the councilman who had the ordinance passed, he can have one outside his home all he wants and because he is above that law.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!