Handeling Rock Python, Cage Aggressive Possibly - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #21
lthomas926
Lol Im using them right now because getting into the cage is almost impossible. I did notice Ill take a glove off and just pet him nice and easy and he starts hissing. I never been tagged so im kinda being a wuss about it lol.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
hhmoore
Touch first - petting is weird (to him).
Let him get used to being touched, then moved, then lifted. Plenty of time for friendly stuff after he decides there's no reason to bite you.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #23
reticguy76
his bite wont hurt much at all. definately lose the gloves. i have a theory (that i use anyway), using gloves doesnt get him used to your skin and true odor to get him comfortable. i used to use gloves and it seemed like just about everytime i used them with a potentially (or known) more aggressive snake, they would calm down some (getting used to the gloves), but then they would get a little more defensive and strikey again once i took the gloves off and they had a different feel/smell of my bare hands.

also, dont be slow and nervous getting him out. tap him a couple times to let him know you are not food (or offering food) and just take him out.

unlike gophersnakes and other colubrids, once you tap just get him quick. gophers for example need to be moved slowed on when taking them out (ive had a few and they hate the quickness factor)

Old 07-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #24
Hybridbird
With that kind of cage aggression, you need to hook train him ASAP before he gets any bigger.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #25
lthomas926
Alright Guys Im back been working and working with my snakes a lot. Anyways he is getting better. I built my own snake hook using golf club and paint roller. I'm hook training. Getting the concept, He Does not strike as much when hes in the cage either so I think he adjusted good and is learning more about me. He still hissing a lot. When I have him out doesn't strike. Right now what I'm doing is I will get him out and put him in a big room where nothing is in the way and we can move around and I will let him slide around and I will use the hook to change his position but I don't really pick him up with it. I also Use my hands so he is getting used to that. He has come up to my hand and just went past like it is nothing so I'm happy with that. And I must say Wow they have a lot more energy then a Burm

They are awesome Reptiles.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #26
reticguy76
good to hear. rocks are so misrepresented. they are great animals. one of my all-time favorite reptiles

Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #27
lthomas926
I read a thing said after 13 feet they are not handable anymore. Kinda Pissed me off. What would you say average adults get in captive

Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #28
lthomas926
Length* sorry

Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthomas926 View Post
I read a thing said after 13 feet they are not handable anymore. Kinda Pissed me off. What would you say average adults get in captive
That's a crock, lol. I've kept a couple of 15-16 footers that I handled without a problem, and trusted them as much as I would any burm. They tend to be a bit squirmy, though; more active when they're out and about....so hauling them out of the cage and expecting to hang over your shoulder (in most cases) isn't very realistic. It isn't a negative thing, but it can be disconcerting for some - it takes a bit of hand under hand to keep them close and somewhat controlled, which is where a lot of people fail. Rather than dealing with it, they start trying to restrict the movement of the snake; which results in a struggle - the snake trying to do its thing, the person trying to prevent them from going to far. A little too much effort from either participant can lead to a corresponding (over)reaction from the other.
Get to know the snakes....that understanding will go a long way, and benefit you both.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #30
lthomas926
Yep. It amazing me When I go to get him out he hisses and wants to strick so I put in the hook and gently tap his head and body and he wants to go the other way then. So I slide him towards me and pick him up with the hook ( its easier cause the cage is deep) I get him out and put him in the big room and let him calm down and start using my hands never strikes, hisses here and there. Then when I go to put him back in I use my hands and slide his head towards his hide and he goes in and once I close the door hes back ready to strike at me. I take it he acts this way because of being fed in the cage (that will never change though)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!