What kind of snake is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
kellysballs
What kind of snake is this?

I had an acquaintance who knows we have snakes come up to me yesterday and ask me to watch this video on youtube. It is her sister's bird feeder in Tennessee. The sister and the husband filmed this snake climbing up the bird feeder. At first glance I thought maybe a ratsnake of some sort. Then it zooms in on the pattern and now I am thinking boa of some type.

What do you think? Dumerils maybe? That's what the pattern reminds me of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_-2SXCl7o

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
If I were to hazard a guess, it would be an intergrade between a black rat and a gray rat snake. I don't think it's a boa, the body is too slender. Wish it was more in focus.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
WingedWolf
I think it's a grey rat snake. The picture's too blurry to make out real details. I don't suppose you know how long that shepard's crook holding the birdfeeder is? What little I can see of the markings suggests rat snake more than boa, too. Grey rats are pretty variable in their pattern. Dragon, what makes you say intergrade, looking at the film? (curious)

Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
kellysballs
I was at a complete loss when I was sent the link to this video. I had no idea that grey rat snakes got so long. I don't know how long the hook is but the lady that sent me the link said her sister and brother in law thought the snake was around 8 foot long.

I did a little research on the grey rat snakes in TN and I also think that is what it is. I just didn't even know where to start looking. I really appreciate the input.

Kelly

Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
definitely looks like some sort of rat snake to me!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf
I think it's a grey rat snake. The picture's too blurry to make out real details. I don't suppose you know how long that shepard's crook holding the birdfeeder is? What little I can see of the markings suggests rat snake more than boa, too. Grey rats are pretty variable in their pattern. Dragon, what makes you say intergrade, looking at the film? (curious)
I'm guess intergrade because there is such a stark contrast between the belly (which looks almost bright white) against it's lateral coloring, plus the darkness of the blotches on it's back and sides. The grey rats I've seen are closer to a light to medium grey on their bellies, and black rats bellies and chins are typically bright white. They do overlap in range, and have been known to intergrade.
You are right that they are extremely variable though, and I could be wrong, but that's my best guess.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
AmandaTolleson
I would have to disagree.... The pattern, body shape, head shape and size all point to a boa of some sort... I keep and breed both rat snakes and a few boas... Looks like a boa... What ever became of it?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
kellysballs
It is still living in their trees eating birds. I told them it was not venemous and that it was native so they are leaving it alone.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
AmandaTolleson
I don't think it's native...

Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
kellysballs
If it's not it will die during winter. These guys are up in the mountains of TN. It gets pretty cold up there during the winter months.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!