Basic Husbandry Techniques... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
screamdreams
Basic Husbandry Techniques...

Alright, I'd like to get something rolling here. After browsing hundreds upon hundreds of classified ads, forums, etc. it seems the majority of keepers have a difference in opinion on proper enclosure set-ups, substrates, prey items, feeding schedule, and a whole lot of other things. I thought it be productive or even enlightening to some of our newer hobbiest or collectors to share our 'basic' husbandry techniques, and our reasoning behind them. For example: Someone prefer newspaper over bark...why?? I know alot of this has been discussed here, there, or everwhere, but I think it be nice to have one thread on general husbandry, where we can come and get ideas on what works for others and possibly broaden our horizons on a keepers first pet snake, or first rack system, or first walk-in enclosure. How do we house the BIG BOYS, and do we house are hatchlings?? I know from first hand experience, quite a few of my hatchling Colubrids seem to take off much faster in a 'smaller' world. I'd like to hear what some of the larger producers are doing as well. I guess we'll see if this gets any interest, if not will jump on another topic.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
meretseger
Well, I think it's very hard to generalize things like this across all snake species. Glass tanks do great for some animals, and are pretty much awful for others. Same thing with substrates. Maintenence schedules will be very different for a snake that eats every 2 weeks versus one that eats every 5 days (I have one WC snake that eats like clockwork not more than every 3 weeks, which I'm told is normal for the genus). Heck, there are a couple species which thrive at room temperature. So.... I guess I'm saying that a list of basic techniques might not get a beginner very far figuring out what's best for Mr. Hissy.

Erin B.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:54 AM   #3
Glenn Bartley
I like to write as can be seen in a lot of my posts from theior size, but this would require a book - no kidding. Way to general.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!