Help with Roach colony - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
Louiscamp
Help with Roach colony

I may be all wet on this question, but I read somewhere that there is a type of insect you should keep with roaches, and they act as a cleaner for the colony. The take care of much of the waste product. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Thanks...Lou

Old 10-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiscamp
I may be all wet on this question, but I read somewhere that there is a type of insect you should keep with roaches, and they act as a cleaner for the colony. The take care of much of the waste product. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Thanks...Lou
Yeap, pillbugs...they are great cleaners! I don't know if they eat the poop, but they DO eat cast skins and clean up the food area to eliminate mite infestations.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Louiscamp
Pillbugs, yes that's them!! Thanks! Anybody have an idea where I can get some?

Thanks...Lou

Old 10-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
YJHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiscamp
Pillbugs, yes that's them!! Thanks! Anybody have an idea where I can get some?

Thanks...Lou
I really like Strange Cargo, but I don't know if they have any regular gray ones.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:49 AM   #5
LadyGecko
Thanks for the tip on the pill bugs (whatever they are-LOL)
I went to www.stangecargo.com and their website is temp. down but fancy that-they are in Chicago of all places-LOL
For some reason that does not surprise me in the least

I have a colony of roaches (I forget which kind-they don't climb well ) and if you keep them really warm on a uth and give them fruit-apples-oranges along with their feed -they seem to reproduce quite well
My colony is still not up to where I am feeding them to the Leo but hopefully it will be soon
Sandy

Old 10-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
groovygeckos
Hey Sandy, Strange Cargo in Chicago says it is a vintage clothing store.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Louiscamp
I found them at http://www.doubleds.org.

Thanks!

Lou

Old 10-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
Xelda
Isopods (aka pillbugs or rolly pollies) are actually crustaceans not insects. They make great little janitors but they need humidity and moist substrate to burrow in. You also need a TON of them to have them make a dent in keeping your colony clean to the point where they would outcompete mites. In my opinion, they're a bit impractical to use for roach feeder cages, but if you've got tarantulas, phasmids, or other animals that might require humid conditions, that's when they would be useful.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
groovygeckos
Quote:
are actually crustaceans not insects.
Now thats odd.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
YJHB
Yeap, more closely related to lobsters (the kind you find in the ocean). They actually have little "gills" they breathe through; that's why they require moist conditions.
I only started exploring them as a way to keep my roaches cleaner, but didn't realize I needed an army of them. I wondered why 24 of them didn't make even a dent.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!