What are the ideal temps? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Focal
Also forgot to mention, I would put the hide somewhere between the hot and cold end. That's where a majority of mine have ended up. My enclosures have clear view windows and even with me standing there watching them, they come out and cool when they need to or absorb heat freely. Ive never had privacy issues with any of my snakes and they even let me watch them breed (quit using hides for that). I think that medium temp should be around 83-86.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Mickeyblueyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
no hides for any balls in racks unless they have eating issues, others they never see one.
Ideal temperatures is pretty varied, I keep my hot spots around 93-95 and my cool end is around 79 to 80 with a warm end ambient around 86-87.
I recommend not using the herpstat probe as your thermometer, getting correct temperatures is best achieved with a probed thermometer or a temp gun.
My temps inside of the tubs are always different than what my herpstat says.
I see some of you guys like to keep it hot. There seems to be some variations. I use a separate freed up herpstat probe to measure my temps in each tub. It is much more accurate than my temp gun.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
mgoblue347
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
I recommend not using the herpstat probe as your thermometer, getting correct temperatures is best achieved with a probed thermometer or a temp gun.
My temps inside of the tubs are always different than what my herpstat says.
I second that.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Mickeyblueyes
Also I don't just stick it in there and get the first reading. I wait until the temp peaks and remains steady.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Araidia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue347 View Post
I second that.
Same here, mine always read hotter than what it is. Definitely use a good accurate temp gun. I only give hides to shy snakes that won't eat if the food scares them. I have two that eat great if they're in the hide but won't touch it if the rat touches them outside of the hide. The rest of mine in tubs don't have any, when I gave them hides I found some would stay in there for days not moving even if they felt to cold. Without them they get more exercise and seem to regulate temps better. My racks are clear and very open but they all eat great and don't seem to mind being without one. My temps are 90 hot spot and 80 cool end.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Daequix
Temp- I'm agreeing on the range here for the most part-- median around 83-86ish but mostly hot spot 90 and cool around 78 to 80.

And most definitely get a good temp gun

Hides---depends on the snake and mine are in racks since I started breeding, working with BP's. Smaller and more timid snakes I always provide either with a hide or a dog bowl that can second as a water bowl/hide which they seem to love. Most of my larger beepers will make their dish a hide if they want one and move it all over their enclosure.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
Mickeyblueyes
Sounds good! I have a temp gun but how do I check it for accuracy? I just don't trust it as I do a calibrated herpstat. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
mgoblue347
I went to walmart and got a probed thermometer for under $20..very accurate.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by punz67 View Post
Sounds good! I have a temp gun but how do I check it for accuracy? I just don't trust it as I do a calibrated herpstat. Thanks everyone for the responses.
I don't know of a good way to check for accuracy other than running it by a bunch of other devices. Most devices have an accuracy range of +/- 0.1 to 2 degrees. As long as you aren't using foil tape on the probe, the Herpstat is going to be the most accurate, from what I have used. The only problem is its accurate only at the probe. I can set my probe at 90 but it can be 92 just inches away. I just zap my probe once in a while to make sure my temp gun matches, and for a cheap Harbor Frieght gun, it's always accurate within a few inches of the reading.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!