Interest in large scale feeder lizards? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
rcpreis3
Interest in large scale feeder lizards?

Ive actually been thinking about a large scale breeding of these lil anoles running around my yard, they arent native and are pretty abundant around here. I know the risks of feeding reptile to reptile cuz of the easy transfer of related illnesses and parasites.

But if I take the time to clean them up and set up a breeding program would anyone be interested in them?

The big ones get to be about 6-8 inches long.

Idk it just a thought I came across while reading another post.

Lemme know ur opinions!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
annmikeal
I think that its a good idea... I have seen people at shows selling them for a couple bucks, but I can catch them in the yard... Right now I have a juvi corn that wont eat anything but the anoles, and its a pain in the butt to catch them in the winter

Ill be your customer

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
rcpreis3
yea usually they litter the ground and bushes aournd here but today I could only find one

Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
annmikeal
this weather is really starting to creep in, we probably wont be seeing too many of them around here either

Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
rcpreis3
hmm maybe ill use this time to start with the set ups, and trying to get some crickets and roaches going

Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Bioteacher
I think its a good idea....I keep some Solomon Island Tree Boas that only feed on anoles, so I could use about 10 a month at the moment and they're hard to find here in NY

Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
kingpinreptiles
that'd be nuts to have a business like Rodent Pro but for feeder anoles, lol.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
rcpreis3
It would be nice. But id need alot more of a variety of species before I get to rodent pros standards, I know cuz I buy from them!

I have it in the works, I just need a spot to breed and keep insect feeders for them. My mom said some interesting words when I brought the idea up to her. lol

Old 12-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Focal
I would check the local laws to make sure first. I know it's illegal in some states to catch and sell local wild animals but I'm not sure about catching, breeding and selling. I think it may be the same though. Not trying to be a prick, just looking out.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
rcpreis3
Its all good, and these ones arent protected because they are not native. One of the few lizards native to florida is the green anole, or "false chameleon" it can change from bright green to dark brown. And these lil terrorists actually attack and kill this native species. We've been planning an extermination of them in my neighborhood, but then I realized people could actually make use of them and I could make a lil bs money on the side. I have no problem killing an animal that will nurish another, but I cant stand a wasteful genocide. Im glad I thought of this idea before we went "weasel stomping" on them. Like I said earlier im in the works of getting them setup, I just dont want animals I cant feed and I cant run up to the store and get crickets for them daily. So now we wait for me to convince my mom that the crickets wont get out and attack her in her sleep. lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!