6 critically endangered Blue Iguanas killed on Grand Cayman - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
StubbyUK
Angry 6 critically endangered Blue Iguanas killed on Grand Cayman

Just thought I'd pass this sad news on to as many folks as possible. Last night someone broke into the breeding facility on Grand Cayman and deliberately killed (apparently by stamping on them) 6 adult blue iguanas.

I had the pleasure of spending three weeks as a volunteer at the centre and worked with Digger, Pedro, Aldermire, Yellow, Sara and Jessica. I can't begun to understand why someone would do such a thing.

To find out more, or maybe to donate a little to try and make at least something a little good come out of this - go to the website at www.blueiguana.ky

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
kmurphy
Just curious Yvonne, was the reserve taking land away from the locals? How do the local people get along with the reserve personnel?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
StubbyUK
There is some conflict as current laws prevent injury or harm being done to *any* iguanas - this includes the invasive green iguana that are becoming a pest.

The programme itself only owns one piece of land which is so rough as to be useless to developers. They are desparate to buy more land so captive bred iguanas have somewhere to spread to, but as of yet they are having no luck with this.

As a rule the locals either help - they have local voluneeters onboard or they are fairly indifferent to the whole thing.

i believe there was also some bad feeling with one or two individuals who were illegally keeping blue iguanas as pets. I was only there three weeks, but didn't come across any feeling that I would think would lead to something like this.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
InterExotics
Those people need their faces stomped on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!