whats a good snake - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #121
xXBlueLipsXx
exactly j_dunlavy o.o...

Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #122
Pmsayi
Carpet Python sub species:

M. spilota cheynei : Jungle Carpet Python
M. spilota harrisoni : Irian Jaya Carpet Python
M. spilota imbricata : South Western Carpet Python
M. spilota mcdowelli : Coastal Carpet Python
M. spilotes metcalfei: Inland Carpet Python
M. spilota spilota : Diamond Python
M. spilota variegate: North Western Carpet Python

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #123
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedpayara View Post
Dude. All snakes are awesome. It depends on what's right for you. I'm a drymarchon guy with non venomous and hots, pygmy rattlesnakes are my favorites. They can be tamed and held but I do suggest taking diluted venom injections to build up your immunity. But use thick welding gloves to get them used to handling and they are cool. As for drymarchon. They are high strung snakes but with some frequency in handling and taming they are super smart and make some super cool pets. Just my opinion to whether you wanna test your herp skills

Handling venomous snakes for the shear purpose of taming or handling them is asking to get hurt and equates out to chambering a round in a handgun and putting it in your pocket. You may get away with either for awhile but sooner or later you are going to get hurt. If you feel the need to handle "hots" for pleasure this is a good sign that you are not mature enough to keep them. At the very least please don't go on a public forum and suggest such behavior to others, least of all a beginner.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #124
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmsayi View Post

Handling venomous snakes for the shear purpose of taming or handling them is asking to get hurt and equates out to chambering a round in a handgun and putting it in your pocket. You may get away with either for awhile but sooner or later you are going to get hurt. If you feel the need to handle "hots" for pleasure this is a good sign that you are not mature enough to keep them. At the very least please don't go on a public forum and suggest such behavior to others, least of all a beginner.
Darn right!
this is why hot keepers get such bad press!
A few people can ruin it for all the responsible keepers.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #125
demonseed38
I take diluted venom injections the same as tom Crutchfield and many others. I also use venom defender gloves as well. I've worked with and handled hots as well as some very big crocadilians and other dangerous animals. The people that get hurt by hots are the morons that think they have a tame viper or elaphid. I have been bitten 11 times as any body with my experience knows it's gonna happen. But thanks to those injections I take it never got serious enough for me to be hospitalized. You people can think what you want. It's you that are unprepared that get injured by these animals and give us all a bad name. So when you do get bit and are laying in ICU. Thank about your little article's . I'll be sitting at home healthy and enjoying my snake collection. And if your scared of these animals. Don't keep them.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #126
hhmoore
Let's not turn this into a pi$$ing match over venomous reptiles, or the debates about freehandling or venom injections...it's a thread started by a budding hobbyist, looking for first snake suggestions.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #127
demonseed38
I think she should Prolly get like a carpet python or children python. They make good beginner snakes. You're right though. People need to keep their negative opinions to theirselves. It's to each his own.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #128
hhmoore
There's no problem with those discussions (other than than the fact that all they do is fan the flames of controversy, as there is no answer that is absolutely correct for everybody; but there are many strong opinions...and too many people can't have constructive debate without turning it nasty); they simply don't belong in this thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #129
demonseed38
Very well put.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #130
Pmsayi
Harald, if you feel the need to move this into another thread I completely understand and my intent with what follows is not to aggravate or upset you or anyone else. I will not comment on this beyond this post whether you move it or not.

Joe, I was unaware that Tom took diluted venom injections but I am very well aware of his past as a convicted smuggler as well as his antics handling venomous snakes. I would venture to say there are far better mentors out there for you. I consider what he does to be foolish and of no service to the community in general. The last thing this hobby (profession for some) needs is more bad press. I was aware of the practice you cited in general started by Bill Haast (1910-2011). He handled venomous snakes for the purpose of milking them and scientific research as to the benefits of venom to cure human ailments as well as for anti-venom production. He did not handle these animals to show off or to attempt to "tame" them.

I would point out to you that others who have exposed themselves to venomous snakes have developed severe allergies to both the venom and anti-venom as a result bites as well as exposure to venom residue in the enclosures. I sincerely hope you are working closely with a medical care provider that is well versed in venomology. In my opinion the fact that you have been bitten 11 times brings into question whether you should be interacting with these snakes in the manner that you are. I have a good friend who worked with and bred venomous snakes for a long time (20 years) and was never bitten. What he always impressed upon me was these are not animals that you will get a second chance with, one mistake, under the right circumstances, could be your last mistake. He also said time and again when you get comfortable to the point you even consider risky behavior when dealing with venomous snakes it is time to quit keeping them.

If you had made your comments in a thread related to "hots" I would not have bothered commenting on it. The reason I commented was because this thread was started by a novice with no experience keeping snakes of any kind. I felt (and still do) your recommendation of handling venomous snakes was reckless and sets a bad example to someone new to the hobby. I am grateful the OP seems to understand that this is risky behavior and not accepted by everyone. I am also grateful that Jon took the time to voice his opinion on this as well. I personally feel that it is the responsibility of those who are more experienced to set a good example for those beginning. This includes (IMO) proper husbandry and safety protocol (when applicable), making sound and ethical recommendations reflective of the persons skill set, providing as accurate information as possible, answering questions (even if it is the same one 10 times over), and where appropriate personal experience with species in question as well as what to expect when keeping said species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!