Snake in one of our hotel rooms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Juxtaposition109
Question Snake in one of our hotel rooms

Hello all,
I live in Florida and work the front desk at a small hotel on the beach. Last night I checked someone into one of our hotel rooms and they came back and told me that there was a snake in the room. After I room moved them I went to check it out for myself. I spotted the little guy and identified him as an Eastern Ribbon snake. As I was the only person working at the hotel I couldn't spend a lot of time trying to catch him so I snapped a photo to show the maintenance staff. The snake crawled back into a crack at the bottom of the wall and I could barely see him looking back into it with a flashlight. When I came into work today the maintenace staff asked me to go see if I could catch him as they are all afraid of snakes. I went down and seached the room but I couldn't find him anywhere. We can't really rent out the room until we know that there aren't any snakes in it. Does anyone have a good humane idea of how I can catch him? I put a cardboard box w/ a small hole in it in the room hoping he may crawl up into it. I just would rather me catch him and let him go free than some of the maintenance people stomping him to death. Any ideas?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Is it cold where you are yet? if so maybe a small box near a heat source?

Or you could advertise the room as a herper's special....

Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Tim Cole
Place a minnow trap along a wall. Put small minnows in a glass or clear plastic container inside the trap. This will lure the snake into the trap since this is what they eat. It will be attracted primarily by smell but also by visually seeing the fish. Check the trap periodically throughout the day or night. Put small towels between the baseboard and open ends of the trap to help guide the snake into the funnel end.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Juxtaposition109
Question

It's down into the 60's but not crazy cold yet. I'm in the St Pete Beach area. I went down to try to find him again but had no luck. I have a minnow fullel trap at home so I'll probably try that route. I know I can get some rosy red minnows at Petsmart for about fifteen cents a piece.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
rcpreis3
Also if u wanna check and see where he maybe hiding out at lay some flour on the floor as he may leave trails if its in his route, then u would have a better idea of where to set up a trap.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
rcarichter
I'm sure he's trying to hide as far back as possible, so if you can see him, perhaps the crevice is small enough to stick something in and flush him out. Then you can plug the crack. Might make him a bit easier to catch.

Noelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!