Very sick Beardie..help please - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Ed Clark
This dragon does not appear to be suffering from malnutrition and dehydration.

Has it been kept under a fresh 10.0 UVB bulb?

Is it getting plenty of calcium with its food.there is a good chance that dragon is calcium deficient.if so you can mix up some powdered calcium in water then open its mouth ,then with a dosing syringe squirt in the back of its mouth.

Keep in mind a dragon can go off feed for a few days to a week with a move and cage change.after a cage change you have to limit handling because they stress easy and need time to adjust to that new cage.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
wyldwurm
I took him to my vet and she said that he has something called "rubber jaw" from lack of calcium and vitamin D. He cannot close his mouth properly and one side of his bottom teeth protrude a little. It infuriates me that the person this Dragon came from has several others. While they look in better condition, I'd have to assume they're kept in similar setups and nutrition.

His seizures/arching have stopped since he FINALLY took a poo after giving him a few drops of mineral oil. I did run my fingers through it to check for any solids (Ever try to look professional while gagging..LOL)...it was loaded with SAND. The vet said the impaction MAY have been pressing against some spinal nerves causing that type arch.

He's being kept in a small tank with UVB, temps are about 110 in his hot spot now....i mush up silkworms/small crickets and dandiloin/kale greens with some calcium and feed him with a syringe twice a day since he still will not eat on his own (but he does want to eat).

After eating, he gets a warm soak since he was not pooping. Now that he's pooped, I will soak less often. He does seem to enjoy the water.

He can now hold his head up on his own and he does walk a few steps. He is also awake more than he was. He seems to be getting a little better each day so I am hoping that with better care, he will continue to improve.

I think my cousin will make a very good owner. She's visited him every day and has a new set-up with everything she needs for him. (I call his setup a resort because she really did a great job with it) She has been doing a lot of research to make sure that he remains well once he goes home.

I'm going to have a hard time letting him go It will be worth it, he is such a little sweetheart

Thank you all very much for your help. I really do appreciate everything!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Willow
Glad to hear the news is hopeful! Good luck and I wish him well soon!

(Ed-isn't calcium deficient pretty close to malnutrition? lol)

Old 03-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Ed Clark
No, but I will give that to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post

(Ed-isn't calcium deficient pretty close to malnutrition? lol)

Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
AGoodwin
Ive been following this thread and I am very glad to hear he is improving. Thanks so much for helping this little guy!

Old 03-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
UNIGIRL
Sick beardie

First I would STOP feeding the kale as it is high in oxalates and goitrogens (sp?).

I have a little recipe I use on my sick guys. Get a tube of Lax'aire laxative for cats and dogs from a pet store and give him a little.

Then mix:
1/2 teas 1st stage chicken & chicken broth
1/4 teas fish flakes with at least 46% protein
A pinch of powder pediatric electrolyte (pedalite)

Enough water for him to eat well; at least 2tbls

When you bath him use a soft bristle toothbrush and gently brush from mid tommy to vent.

If he is impacted you will make it worse feeding more insects. If not this mixture should give him some strength back.

My guess is that the parasites may have gotten really high and needs wormed.
If he is regurgitating or puking is a symptom that would confirm parasites.

Good luck!

Unigirl

Old 03-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
angie.h
That's great that he's doing better. You wrote that he had been fed large crickets, so I thought I'd mention that at his size, the large crix are too big for him and can also contribute to impaction. A dragon his size should have crix that are roughly the length of the space between his eyes. Large dragons don't need to follow that rule, but young ones can get in trouble eating too large insects.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
wyldwurm
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIGIRL View Post
First I would STOP feeding the kale as it is high in oxalates and goitrogens (sp?).
I feel Kale because it is a good source of natural calcium (easier to obsorb than the powder) and throughout my research have read that it is excellent for beardies. He is slowly getting better so I am going to continue to do what I am doing Thank you for the recipe, I will do some checking on the pedialite and perhaps give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
That's great that he's doing better. You wrote that he had been fed large crickets, so I thought I'd mention that at his size, the large crix are too big for him and can also contribute to impaction. A dragon his size should have crix that are roughly the length of the space between his eyes. Large dragons don't need to follow that rule, but young ones can get in trouble eating too large insects.
I agree, since he has been with me, he has only gotten small crushed crickets. Although I did not notice any exoskeleton in his poop, just sand

Last night, while making putting his crickets,silkworms, kale, a little calcium and dome dandiloin leaves into the blender, my daughter (who is 23 and not a fan of reptiles) asked what I was making. Curious, she opened the top and took a whiff....I think she turned as green as the mixture when I told her what it was ...I've since been informed that the blender is now off limits for people food..hahaha

I really appreciate all the comments, support and suggestions...I will be sure to post a video of him once he is back to normal (or as normal as he can be in this nuthouse!)

Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldwurm View Post
Last night, while making putting his crickets,silkworms, kale, a little calcium and dome dandiloin leaves into the blender, my daughter (who is 23 and not a fan of reptiles) asked what I was making. Curious, she opened the top and took a whiff....I think she turned as green as the mixture when I told her what it was ...I've since been informed that the blender is now off limits for people food..hahaha

I have been told the same thing.

I am very glad he is doing better! Good job!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
hadenglock
Hydration is essential in malnuroished and dehydrated reptiles. You should address this first before attempting to feed, as feeding him first will only dehydrate him more, regular soaking, and misting of the cage with increased temps is going to be your best bet until you get him to the vet, sounds like your doing everything right so far so keep it up

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!