Oscar + Maia = Epic Failure... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
cahrens
Have you verified their sexes? I had a pastel male last year that wouldn't touch any of the females I put him in with. This year, I put my bee male in with "him" and they were locked up right away.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahrens View Post
Have you verified their sexes? I had a pastel male last year that wouldn't touch any of the females I put him in with. This year, I put my bee male in with "him" and they were locked up right away.
I haven't actually popped or probed them; the people I got them from here on Fauna (jnj and Gecko_Den) have great reps, I have no reason to doubt their sex. If it were someone I'm not as sure about though, you bet that would be the first thing I'd check for .

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
cahrens
Yeah, I thought the same thing. The pastel came from Amir.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
I haven't actually popped or probed them; the people I got them from here on Fauna (jnj and Gecko_Den) have great reps, I have no reason to doubt their sex. If it were someone I'm not as sure about though, you bet that would be the first thing I'd check for .
lol ive gotten critters from friends... My het albino FEMALE was a male... at one point. Till she laid eggs!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
TheFragginDragon
Hmmmm....well, I guess I guess it can't hurt to rule out the improbable, and then go from there. I'll wait a day to let them digest their meal further first, don't want that kind of mess . Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
TheFragginDragon
Well, I've made some discoveries over the past few days!

1. Oscar is definitely a male. I tried the ol' 'put two males together and see what happens' bit. I took Romeo out of his bin, and partially opened Oscar's bin to see what Romeo's reaction would be. He toungue flicked over and over again on the inside wall and rim of the bin, but wouldn't go inside. Oscar came towards him, and after a few more flicks in his direction, he recoiled. I tried the same thing with Maia's bin, and Romeo wasted little time in making himself at home. Which leads to number two;

2. Romeo is a lover, not a fighter. He proceeded to court Maia and in short order locked with her. I tried to get some of his 'stuff' to put on her back beforehand, but he wasn't giving me anything (I think Juliet 'drained' him ). I was able to separate them after a day.

3. The smell of Romeo on Maia must have done the trick, because I put Maia back in with Oscar, and they are currently locked!

I may have risked Romeo fathering some eggs, but at least I know Oscar can step up to the plate when his masculinity is threatened .

Guess all I can do is wait and see...I hope it isn't too late for something positive to happen.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
bonzai272
sweet....maybe itll all work out for ya now. keep posted.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
TheFragginDragon
Well, things are looking up after all. Maybe Oscar was just a late starter, but he seems to be making up for lost time. When I left for work this morning, he and Maia were locked up after a 4 day separation, right in the front of the bin. I get home and they are in the same place, either still locked up, or locked again. I didn't want to disturb them, so I had to take the shot through the plastic, lighted by my penlight. Maybe I'll get albino's this year after all?!?!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
Masonexotics
glad things look to have turned around now cross your fingers!

We hope to get our first lemon blush albinos next year, hets are so exciting yet so furstrating at the same time

Old 05-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
TheFragginDragon
Well, it looks (hopefully) that Oscar and Maia are making me eat my words (and I'll be happy to do so ). I got home from work today to find her wrapped tight around 7 eggs. They aren't quite as big as Juliets are, and they average 96 grams each. Also, the blood vessels aren't quite as pronounced as Juliets were, but they are there nonetheless.
And yet again the waiting game commences!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!