Oscar + Maia = Epic Failure... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
TheFragginDragon
Oscar + Maia = Epic Failure...

I was sooo psyched to finally be able to have the chance to produce some albinos this year with the 100% hets I got in 2006 from trustworthy sources here (especially after getting the big screw'n from TSE), but Oscar must be gay (and there's nothing wrong with that ) because I haven't witnessed a single lock up between him and Maia since I've been introducing them together beginning late October. They've been subject to the same exact conditions that Romeo and Juliet have (temps, lighting, humidity, etc). They've been doing it like rabbits, and Juliet is already fat and has changed her color considerably! Not a single positive sign from Maia at all. Oscar hasn't even refused a single meal offered, and Romeo hasn't eaten since November.
I can't say I've given up all hope, but I'm feeling kinda disgusted right now . I'm even considering picking up another het male in a couple of weeks to try again before it gets too late.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
have you tried popping the other male, and putting the plugs on the girl? maybe it will rile your boy up?

maybe theyre just going at it when you arent looking!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
have you tried popping the other male, and putting the plugs on the girl? maybe it will rile your boy up?
Right now I'm up for any and all ideas....i'll give it a try, thanks Moo!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Right now I'm up for any and all ideas....i'll give it a try, thanks Moo!
*shrugs* who knows if itll work, maybe even do his own?

its weird... but ive been hearing of people doing this......
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
bonzai272
keep us posted with what works. Im curious to see what happens.

what about putting Romeo in there to see if it triggers an competition?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
rabernet
It sucks, doesn't it?

I've got a male that I've been pairing with his girl once every two weeks since October. No observed locks. I figured he just wasn't mature enough (some younger males won't go one year and be a breeding machine a season later)

Last night, a cold front was due to roll in. I triple whammied him - put him in with his girl ahead of the storm front - I took the sperm plug of another male and put it on her back, and I misted the hell out of both of them.

Before I went to bed last night - we had an honest to God lock!

Watch for a wet weather system to roll in and try the triple whammy!

Another trick I've used in the past - if you have another female to spare or another female you planned to breed to him - put two females in with him at the same time - that also helped get another male of mine going and the female that was formerly un-receptive to be receptive.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Sometimes~ only TIME will get them going.........
STILL trying to get pieds out of the het pieds I bought from a reliable source in 2002! I think I've tried EVERY TRICK. This year Sassy and Visa have locked up 3 or 4 times~ but I've been disappointed enough years in a row..........I'm NOT getting excited.

Try the sperm plug thing~ thats what finally got Visa going in 06~ after I bought another het male to replace him!! But neither male would breed Sassy~ until last year when Heathers pied male bred her finally and produced.......4 BAD EGGS

Edit~ I said Visa finally started breeding in 06~ that was a mistake. it was 07 before he FINALLY decided he liked girls

Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
jasballs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
I was sooo psyched to finally be able to have the chance to produce some albinos this year with the 100% hets I got in 2006 from trustworthy sources here (especially after getting the big screw'n from TSE), but Oscar must be gay (and there's nothing wrong with that ) because I haven't witnessed a single lock up between him and Maia since I've been introducing them together beginning late October. They've been subject to the same exact conditions that Romeo and Juliet have (temps, lighting, humidity, etc). They've been doing it like rabbits, and Juliet is already fat and has changed her color considerably! Not a single positive sign from Maia at all. Oscar hasn't even refused a single meal offered, and Romeo hasn't eaten since November.
I can't say I've given up all hope, but I'm feeling kinda disgusted right now . I'm even considering picking up another het male in a couple of weeks to try again before it gets too late.
Dude, That sucks! But it does happen. Everyone has posted some awesome advice. Take your time and try all there methods. And if it doesnt work, And you get no eggs from them I'll send you my first male albino of 09'. Keep your head up Bro!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
TheFragginDragon
Thanks for the great advice my friends, this weekend I'll start implementing, and I'll update as things progress (or fail to ). Gotta keep them positive waves .

And Jas, thanks for the offer compadre!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
rabernet
Good luck John - please do keep us updated!

BTW, the little male of mine is still locked this evening - making up for lost time, perhaps?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!