Diet for an old Sandfish? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
RainBird
Diet for an old Sandfish?

So lately I've just adopted a 'senile' Sandfish - he has about 6mos.-1 yr to live. 'Kei' has a 15G to live in with 3-4" of sand, a shallow water dish that he's been 'trained' to drink out of, a hidey log with a small amount of damp moss inside (Loves it!), a under-tank heating pad. I'm getting a basking light/UV bulb for him this week (I got him on monday).

But anyways, Kei hasn't really eaten anything I've put in his tank. two crickets and a super mealworm have roamed the tank since I got him - Monday. I did put some fruits in the the bugs, and he seemed interested in that, but besides water, he really hasn't touched anything.

What would be a good food that would intice him to start eating at such an old age? He isn't low on energy - he'll come out of his log or even the sand and just stare back at me when I'm watching him. Those beady eyes ARE rather adorable...

Old 11-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #2
RainBird
*put some fruit in FOR the bugs.

No one has any advice?

Old 11-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
jnjreptile
6 moths to a year to live? now do you come up with that?

Keep him very hot and offer beetle's as they are the natural food item. We used to feed mealworm beetle to our imports years ago and they always did good with them. You can also try small crickets and mealworms along with baby roaches. Sandfish (scinctus scinctus) mostly feed on very small food items and are insectivorous. This should help as long as it is kept in the high 90* with a cool spot and a HOT basking spot of at least 110*

J&J REPTILES

Old 11-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
RainBird
Thanks for the info!

The people that had Kei before me that they had had him for most of his life and that (from their guess and research) Sandfish have around 5-8 years to live, which they've had him for around 6.

I have super mealworms (for my turtle), waxworms, earthworms, and crickets (med-small).

I was also wondering if it was rare to come across a Sandfish that tolerates and acually likes to be handled. I know they shouldn't be handled very much (if not at all) but when I first got him, he almost drowned from drinking too much water. (I saved him by picking him up and massaging his belly, which then he reguritated a little and coughed a little to clear his throat, but that was Monday and nothing else bad has happened.) Since then, whenever I put my hand in (to refill the water dish, moisten the moss) he 'swims' or walks over and watches my. Once he even crawled into my hand!

Another thing - none of the pet stores around my area carry Sandfish, and I was hoping to get another one after poor Kei passed away, or maybe a small-sized Skink. If I wanted to go with another type of skink, what would be a good beginner skink? I do have SOME expirence with reptiles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!