Feeding Problem with DBT - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
Dr_ScottyDog
Question Feeding Problem with DBT

If anyone knows some good methods of tempting my hatchling Concentric DBT to eat I would greatly appreciate them. I purchased him approx. 1 wk ago over the internet, he came along with a few other turtles. They all came in what seemed to be in good health, and all the other turtles adapted to their new home and started eating within a day or so, except for my DBT. Not only did I pay good money for him, but I would hate to see any animal die much less a beautiful little hatchling turtle. He is swimming much better, but still is not eating and it has been almost 2 wks. I have even been taking him out and trying to feed him in a separate small container only filling it to about his shell depth and putting just a pelet/stick or two of food. The foods I am varying between are Wardly Aquatic Turtle pelets and Tetra Repto-Min. The food floats against his face in corners at times and still no interest. All of my other turtles are ravenous pigs that act like they haven't eaten in days, I just don't understand! Anyone with any advice, hints, anything, please HELP!

Old 09-19-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
Dr_ScottyDog
DBT Picture!

Here is a picture of my Concentric Diamondback Terrapin!
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #3
herpetological
Feeding

Try natural foods I.E.-raw peeled shrimp, fish fillet pieces. House him by himself and make sure water temps are in the upper 70's low 80's. Shallow water. If you need more info contact me. Thanks Ray G. HBR

Old 10-01-2003, 11:44 AM   #4
Rick Seykoski
Try seperating him from the others, keep the water warm, 80 to 83, and offer him a small live minnow from the pet store. Just holding a live minnow or a guppy may triger his feeding responses.
Rick Seykoski
Silver Spring, Maryland

Old 10-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
robin d.
try feeding some small crickets to him maybe 1/4-1/2 inchers. sometimes that stimulates them. dbt's love smelt so if you can go to a local market and get some smelt try that. my gbt's never cared for shrimp/ however sometimes a comet or rosey red they would eat. i would also try getting zoo meds aquatic turtle diet for hatchlings... they are small pieces and have good protien and just a good well balanced diet. i would stay away from the wardleys and tetramin products, they are loaded with fillers and arent as nutritionally sound. and yes seperate him in his own enclosure he may be overwhelmed and dbt's at times can get finkiky about their diets and environments not like our common red ears and maps. good luck and i hope this helps. oh also go to yahoo groups and do a search for the diamondback terrapin group. they are a good bunch of guys and are very knowledable about dbt's in specific

Old 10-02-2003, 11:03 AM   #6
Dr_ScottyDog
Talking Eating

Ok, I am sorry I didn't reply sooner, but after the very 1st post of advice I tried putting him in with my hatchling E. Box turtles and he went crazy eating 3-4 crickets, so the next day I fed him in there again with the Box turtles this time Meal Worms were on the menu, once again he ate 3-4, the next day was night crawlers or normal earth worms, he ate a few, and finally I offered him and my other aquatic turtles some Guppies and they all including DBT ate them. This is good news, as in he isn't going to die, but I am still concerned in the fact that I would really like to get him on a consistant turtle pellet/stick diet. He is a captive bred hatchling so I don't understand why he is being so picky. Although I offer my E. Box turtle hatchlings a variety of live food every other day, they are at least eating their staple Box Turtle pellets, and all of my other aquatic turtles eat the Repto-min like they haven't eaten in days. Anyway, if any of you guys have any more advice on how I can now make the transition from live food to sticks/pellets, I'm all ears. Thanks again everyone!

Old 10-02-2003, 11:27 AM   #7
Rick Seykoski
Now that the terp is eating, perhaps a day without anything will trigger him to bite at prepared food. My eastern painted will eat anything when he is hungry, however I really like JurassiPet Aquatic turtle food. I believe it is the best. Rick

Old 06-28-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
bubncades
solution

i have a concentric DBT also, i have had him about 11 months and when i first got him i found him under a bridge when he was about a week old or less and he did not eat for probly a week and a half. The way i got him to eat period was Blood Worms, and frozen shrimp!, if he does not like that deffinatly try LIVE Brineshrimp! he will munch on that!! now he is 3 and a half inches and eats EVERYTHING from hard boild egg to thanks giving turkey. lol. feed him by hand little pieces of turkey and chicken. then he will run to you when you walk into the room.
mercades n billy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!