Red GTP. So they stay red? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
coyote
Red GTP. So they stay red?

I just saw a juvenile green tree python that was such a vivid, rich, garnet red. It was like a jewel; just exquisite.

I know nothing about these animals. Which, until today, didn't bother me any. Having seen such an attractive example of the species since, my interest is now piqued. I would very much appreciate any input from the experienced and knowledgeable to assist me in my research.

Do the red ones stay red?

I understand that they are display animals and not for handling.

What are the husbandry particulars?
Housing, feeding, humidity, common disorders, size at maturity, temperament/personality predilections, fair market price, reputable breeders/suppliers etc.
What is the Latin name? What varieties are there and what are they called.

Any good reference books out there to recommend?
Any good web sites I should check out?

Thank much for your assistance.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Do the red ones stay red?
No, they turn green just like the yellow ones do.

Quote:
What is the Latin name?
The proper latin name is now Morelia viridis, however most of the folks who've been keeping them a long time still refer to them as Chondropython viridis.

Quote:
Any good reference books out there to recommend?
Greg Maxwell has written an excellent book on them called The More Complete Chondro. I have the first edition which was just called The Complete Chondro. There's a lot of info on all aspects of the species and it will answer all your other questions.

Quote:
Any good web sites I should check out?
http://www.finegtps.com - Greg Maxwell's site. The book can be purchased here too.
http://herpetology.com/murdoch.html
http://www.chondroweb.com/

Old 01-15-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
No, they turn green just like the yellow ones do.
Don't they have yellow morphs? or is that the ETB? Maybe I'm getting them mixed up. Never owned either one, though they are high on my list.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:29 AM   #4
hhmoore
Yes, there is yellow green tree python...but I believe Clay was referring to the the fact that (except for the "canary") the variously colored babies will all turn green as they mature

Old 01-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
liquidleaf
Right - The main color of GTPs as adults is green. Various localities have some white speckling, yellow speckling, blue markings, brown/black speckling, or a blue overtone. Some GTPs have so much yellow speckling that yellow looke like their 'main' color. But the colors that appear in a baby usually do not have anything to do with what the adult will look like (they change color at about 1 year old).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!