My pacman & Giant Pixie babies - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #21
mitch_rz
Alright that sounds cool, I already tried finding more information but I can't find something specifically to the issue you're talking about. I said that I'd post pics of my pixie and here they are:
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
nicolai
that second pic is awesiome, looks like he is just laying in wait for something to come near that mouth!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #23
nicolai
P.S. he sure looks healthy enough to me!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #24
mitch_rz
Thanks, his name is Kermit (very original ) and I just got back from the Reptile Expo here in Ontario and NOONE had pixies. Some salesmen from one small shop said they were suprised that I had the Giant Bullfrog species and not the Lovweld. I think they didn't know much about them because they had just alot of pacmans.

I just got 1000 crickets for $20 and I also got some cricket feed and also gut loading food which is apparently really good. The gut load contains paprika which (they say) will help the frog's colours come out even more. This is something I want to see because my pixie has a camoflage colouring (as seen in pic) so hopefully it will stand out even more. I also picked up 50 already frozen mice (hoppers) for under $20, so I plan on feeding him those as treats every now and then. And I also got him a new water dish as his plastic one just didn't look natural. I go the XL sized one from Exo-terra, since he just needs to "soak."

So overall my experience today was good, it's just that I wish there were pixies that I could select from. Now I got to contact a local herp owner to get some in.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #25
nicolai
Your pixie has very nice high pronounced ridges>

1,000 crix for 20.00 at a show isnt a great price, usually at shows they go for 12-13.00. 20.00 for 50 frozen mice is a pretty good deal though. If you didnt live in Canada i would try to hook you up with another pixie. Lots and lots of the at the local shows here.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #26
mitch_rz
Maybe Canadian pricing for the crickets? I don't know. All I know is that I needed alot to start up a colony and also to feed Kermit at the same time. I'm keeping the setup outside in a small greenhouse and seeing how well that will work. When the eggs are layed, I will incubate the containers inside in my basement.

Thanks for the offer, I heard there is some major paperwork and time delay involved with transporting wildlife across the border. The guy who runs the Expo also owns herps close by to me and I'll just contact him soon about obtaining one. I'm sure he won't guarentee a female though and I'm not really willing to settle for an adult pixie (because of possible different feeding habits.)

I just fed Kermit his first pinky, he downed it in one gulp. Now I have to wait and see what his next move is: stew or poo. I'm guessing a bit of stewin' and his poo'in is expected tomorrow or Tuesday. Another question I have to post here... does your frog poo and urinate in his water dish? My frog seems to exclusively wait to do his business when he is in the water dish, and not in the substrate. I was thinking that he does this because when I first bought him he was in a little critter keeper with just a bit of water at the pet store. I think that because he was raised in the water he adapted to using that as his washroom since it was also his temporary home (when you got to go, you got to go.) If it's just the frog's nature to do business in the water then these guys are really smart and instinctively know that the water is a changeable substance. They also know when to leave the water as soon as they're done their business. Very cool.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #27
nicolai
doing the poo in the water dish is very common, its because the soaking gives them the urge i think.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:00 AM   #28
mitch_rz
I made a small animated GIF from a movie clip of my pixie nabbing a cricket.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:48 AM   #29
mitch_rz
Damn brinkster. Anyway here's a better link I hope:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4...cricket0pa.gif

Old 06-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #30
nicolai
that is so cool!!! You need to spend more time in this forum!!!!!!! I cant wait to show my kids this!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!