My pacman & Giant Pixie babies - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #31
lestat_tnt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhoDvCOul0
Heres my pixie eating tiny rat.
and heres a pic of my lowveld pixie.
And a pic of Roachmeat Im growing for feeders.
Ive heard of people feeding cooked stake before, they always have huge pixies.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #32
mitch_rz
Very cool. Now i'm not afraid of feeding Kermit a live rat pup now. I always think that the rat pup would try to bite anything to get out of its situation but after seeing that clip I guess it won't be so bad. Only thing though is that I would probably try feeding him one after a week of just crickets and worms so that he doesn't really have much in his stomach and so when he goes after a rat pup he will just dominate it. Judging by the size of your pixie I think my pixie can eat a rat pup in just two gulps.

Do you think it's critical for the pixie to bite a mouse/rat and pierce it with it's three front teeth?

Also I don't feed my pixie cooked meat, I feed him raw meat. I don't think the cooking matters much if it's steak meat, but right now Kermit likes his steak rare!

Old 06-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #33
mitch_rz
http://www.up.ac.za/bullfrog/index.html

The giant bullfrog is a threatened species?

Old 06-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #34
lestat_tnt
Yes yours would just swallow it whole. I dont think it needs to pierce it, those teeth just insure the food wont pull free+ crushing. As long as the head goes in first, there is usually not a problem.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #35
lestat_tnt
mitch_rz Do you have a picure of yours when he was a babie? If so can you post it?

Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #36
mitch_rz
I know I have only a few from his early juvenille stage and a video of him eating a big worm but I don't know where those are right now. I will look for them sometime today.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #37
mitch_rz
Well, I have looked for those pics and I don't have them! Sorry.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #38
nicolai
That was a big rat pup he ate. Talk about having a full stomache!!! what kind of camera did you use for that??

Old 06-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #39
chondrogal
Nice pics everyone!! My pixie "Herman" is my first venture into amphibs and I'm enjoying him so much but having hard time finding info on the net too.

I'll get some pics of him to share the next time I get the camera out. I'd really like to see pics of enclosures/set ups too. I've got mine in a 20 gal tank with water dish, coco husk shredded substrate and a piece of cork bark for him to lounge under and hunt from! I'd like to add some live pothos plants to his tank, anyone keep theirs in planted tanks?

Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #40
nicolai
You will not be able to keep plants in with him, he will dig them right up. I have tried several times. None lasted more then a day or two. They seem to know you want them in there and dig them up to spite you. I have about 2" of moss in thier for him now and he loves it. He can easy dig right in and leaves his eyes sticking up out hoping for something to come by!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!