My pacman & Giant Pixie babies - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #41
mitch_rz
I had the problem of my pyxie digging the plants up too even when I had them in a separate container! But right now I have a plant that I don't know the name of, but it's not much. I'll send a pic later. I found out that my frog likes his heating pad region which is the area he likes to dig up, so I decided to have the plant away from this area.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #42
lestat_tnt
Pic

Heres another pic.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #43
mitch_rz
What happened to his right eye?

Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #44
lestat_tnt
He was shipped to me that way when he was quarter size. So he was either born like that or pet store damage or shipping damage (or something I haven't thought of). I think he was born like that. It doesn't seem to affect him at all. Compared to some of my other frogs hes a good shot.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #45
nicolai
He definitely looks like he is a healthy one!!! I tried that coca/earth bedding as well. as you can see it always got stuck all over him, that was the biggest reason i went to the moss. That bedding does hold moisture very well though, as is very easy for them to dig down in and bury themselves. what is the object to the right side of the picture of him?

Old 06-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #46
chondrogal
Introducing "Herman" my frog buddy!!! I don't know proper terminology but do know that he "morphed" into frog in Feb. from tadpole status. I purchased him in April and I'd say he's nearly doubled in size in the last two months.

I've noted that he prefers to huddle in spot over his heat mat also and will try a pothos at the opposite end of his tank. I grow Pothos around here like weeds for my snakes so a little torn up plant won't hurt my feelings too much. So long as they won't hurt him I'll give it a shot and see.

I have heard that these guys will just "sit" and be slugs in their tanks so I think it may give him something to do when he's just hanging around. Pothos playground! Yeah right!! LOL So far he's pretty active..... and feeding time is a riot!!

Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #47
lestat_tnt
Its a turtle dock staircase thing that leads to a platform - to the right of him. thats his favorite corner, he likes confined spaces. He will dig in and puff himself up, to wedge himself with his back in the corner.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #48
nicolai
Cathy, you also have a nice Pixie. Yours has really high pronounced ridges..NICE!!! I am amazed how many people are turning up here with pixies. i didnt think that many people would want to own a frog that gets so huge, guess I guessed wrong!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #49
chondrogal
I think that Pixies appeal more to people like myself just wanting to own a "pet" frog over some of the more rare, small or sensitive to keep species. I've had my eyes on some of the Dendrobates for awhile but I'm pretty interactive with my animals and know that would not have been a good match for them.

I really wanted a "show and tell" frog that I could haul around with me to various educational programs and displays from time to tim. I just know how much more impressed children will be by a huge ole bullfrog over a much rarer, smaller frog too.

LOL, I went to local reptile show and as I walked out the door I swore to my husband that I would NOT bring home any more snakes. When I walked in the door he shook his head and said "Next time I'll just make sure you promise to not bring home live animals!!" Now he enjoys him just as much as I do!! Hmmm, how did I know that would happen !

Old 06-29-2006, 12:41 AM   #50
mitch_rz
Hey one thing I noticed is that all our pyxies are males, or so I think. Does anyone find this weird? I mean, where are all the ladies at? I'm really interested in a breeding project, but of course, I need a female.

I'm also noticing that the ecoearth/bedabeast dries easily on my frog back area and I don't like it happening, so I usually spray his back clean when he gets dirty. Anyway, I would seriously think about using moss if I didn't know that crickets would just bury in it right away. How deep is the moss in your tank and what kind of moss is it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!