Hidden gene lesser/soul sucker stuff - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Ghi Reptiles
Hidden gene lesser/soul sucker stuff

I spoke with Kev this morning and he told me that he got an animal from Noah (an African exporter) which Noah called a special lesser. It was the baby from breeding Noah's line of lesser to a special animal that Noah called Queen Belinda. The offspring looked different than what they expected and they assume it's because of the mix of the sire and dam. So Kevin gets this baby male that looks much nicer and a bit different than the other lessers that he had seen and it produced different looking lesser offspring. So Kevin termed it a hidden gene lesser...which is the name that he still uses for it. Kevin says it produced awesome lessers and the crazy looking soul suckers. The hidden gene lessers he has produced came from his soul suckers (not sure if all of them are traced directly from the original soul suckers). I have seen soul suckers and they do not look like Kevin's original ones but they are very nice. Kevin also said that mojos do not make soul suckers...which I can see where he is coming from. It was my mistake for saying they do because that's just what I think they look like and not what Kevin ever told me (my opinion only).

Personally...I think the hidden gene lesser is just a nice lesser...but that's my opinion only. I think that years ago when the ball python craze really started people had no real idea what was in morphs so to the best of their knowledge...they guessed and did some breeding trials and made up their minds from the results. I guess it boils down to Kevin's line of lesser made the soul sucker so technically it's made from his line. But I also think they can be made with other lines even though they may not turn out as nice as Kevin's.

Hope this helped!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
SERPENTS DEN
Sorta like Butters and Lessers, same thing different lineage. Rather than saying hidden gene maybe just make a note of the lineage to avoid controversy.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Ghi Reptiles
Agreed but it's like the hidden gene woma I would think. The name just stuck

Old 06-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghi Reptiles View Post
Agreed but it's like the hidden gene woma I would think. The name just stuck
IMO I would have separated the Woma and Hidden Gene Woma by giving one of the two a totally different name. There was confusion with Pastel & Jungle Pastel in the earlier years and now you don't hear the term Jungle Pastel very often so it catches on over time but you're right the HGW is stuck pretty good.

I don't think it's to late for Kevin to stop using the term hidden gene with his Lessers when all he has to do is specify it's his own line of Lessers from Africa that throw off some different looking combos compared to other Lessers.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Ghi Reptiles
Kevin has been using the term hidden gene lesser for a very long time so I think changing the name would be a moot point. That would also put confusion on the hidden gene woma and people might think that it's just nerds line of Woma when it is not it's actually it's own morph. I think leaving the names would be fine. Kevin's hidden gene lessers are sold for only a little bit more than everyone else's lessers so at this point it's no big deal.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
Kevin has been using the term hidden gene lesser for a very long time so I think changing the name would be a moot point. That would also put confusion on the hidden gene woma and people might think that it's just nerds line of Woma when it is not it's actually it's own morph.
I understand the HGW is it's own morph and I'm not saying to change the name now since it's pretty much stuck but once it was learned that it was it's own morph years ago maybe it should have taken on it's own more specific name other than being termed Woma.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
jluman
Thanks Matt. I agree that Kevin can call his animals whatever he wants, I just really hope that he has it straight now that they don't carry the gene to make platinums.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Ghi Reptiles
Kevin said he's trying this season for platty. He's breeding soul sucker litter mates back to soul sucker. He's got two gravid females

Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
jluman
Quote:
Kevin said he's trying this season for platty. He's breeding soul sucker litter mates back to soul sucker. He's got two gravid females
I wish him luck making some platinums. I think I should clarify from my previous post - I hope that he has it straight now that the lessers don't carry the hidden gene to make platinums.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
rcpreis3
Whys everything gotta be hidden gene? I mean if u see a difference, it isnt quite hidden is it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!