Superworms (Zoophobas) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Lemur_6
Superworms (Zoophobas)

Well, I cracked open a can of superworms at the petstore today and OMG their HGE! The were a good 2 - 2 1/2" inches long. I bought a can and tried feeding some to the adult females I'm looking after for someone right now and they were totally freaked out. What kind of leo would you need to have them eat a monstosity like that?

I'd like to switch my male over to them as soon as he's big enough since I hear they're more nutritious, but I don't even know if a full grown male can handle them. Any of you superworm feeders have advice or comments on feeding these things?

-Dave

Old 02-08-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
robin d.
i start my leos on supers between 20-39 grmas.. just start out with one or two... i find that my adult usually eat no more than 6-8 per feeding and i feed them three times a week. they look big but trust me they usually do love their supers!!!!!

Old 02-08-2004, 02:34 AM   #3
Lemur_6
20 grams!? wow, so do the supers put up a fight against the 20 grammers? How do they even manage to fit that in their mouth?

-Dave

Old 02-08-2004, 03:51 AM   #4
robin d.
nope no fights at all two three chomps and thats it!!!

Old 02-11-2004, 02:50 AM   #5
Intense Herpetoculture
Yep, I start feeind supers around 20 grams just like Robin, no problem, even helps them put on weight and grow up faster and stronger.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Lemur_6
Hmm... how big are your superworms? The ones I bought were about 2 1/2 inches long and they seem to have a bite (rarrgg!). I'll try one on Mr. Ripples tonight see if he can take one down, and maybe I'll stop fiddling with these mealworms...

-Dave

Old 02-11-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
robin d.
yeah thats about the size.. they really dont bite but they do hang on to ya (it feels gross) try one of two.. i bet you he will like them

Old 02-12-2004, 12:13 AM   #8
Lemur_6
Hmm... well I just tried giving him one, and he ran away from it a few times once he saw the size of the thing, but I guess curiosity overcame him and he took a bite, but he had to spit it out because it was fighting him. He did get it down the second time after chasing it around his tank (I guess that first bite took the fight out of it) but not without some difficulty, he seemed a little irked after eating it, he's hiding now... hope he's okay.

-Dave

Old 02-12-2004, 01:18 AM   #9
robin d.
he will be fine.. first couple of times they get so curious and excited about this BIG worm LOL but they do love them trust me if he bit it and came back to finish it , he likes them LOL

Old 02-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #10
Lemur_6
Haha, you were right Robin, he's doing quite alright right now.

Would it be okay to feed a staple of supers or sould I still feed him mealies along with supers?

-Dave

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!